• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake coins in fake holders. Can NGC stop this auction?

13 posts in this topic

Here is a link the an auction that is full of counterfeit coins and counterfeit slabs. If this lot gets bought and put on Ebay or elsewhere, the results could be tragic.

Link to auction here

I could not copy the picture from NGC Cert lookup, but take a look at the coin below, then compare it to the real one

HERE

image.png.ff721d157c66c8cd0b9b828944c59882.png

21 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Here is a link the an auction that is full of counterfeit coins and counterfeit slabs. If this lot gets bought and put on Ebay or elsewhere, the results could be tragic.

All those counterfeits wouldn't come close to doubling what is already on ebay

Here's a good one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1878-S-MORGAN-SILVER-DOLLAR-LOOKS-LIKE-A-PROOF-COIN-WITH-NO-TRACE-OF-WEAR/173778094412?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D3df5603594b34dfe8f12334cf4331d53%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D264179088102%26itm%3D173778094412&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

The fact that there are so many TPG holders in one spot may be enough to get people with the means to act and then hopefully continue to concern themselves with the counterfeit plague. 

78SmorganREVrecutdies.jpg

Obviously not all are counterfeit and without checking numbers it's hard to tell. Many are likely stolen or illegally obtained. I think I'll check some of the numbers.

I emailed the auction company, but they told me to email the seller. By the time I got back online, the auction had ended.  $43,025 plus juice (5%).

39 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I emailed the auction company, but they told me to email the seller. By the time I got back online, the auction had ended.  $43,025 plus juice (5%).

Just because people have money, does not mean they have brains.Two bidders in this case. 

I know that you are not the only one that informed the auction company, I saw it on other forums.

It would be a good idea for someone to save the pictures, or at least copy the cert#'s and get them to the TPG's. 

It is my opinion that since the site that held this auction knew there were counterfeits and allowed it to continue, they are in violation of the CCPA. The seller is also in violation, "Ignorantia juris non excusat"  or "ignorance of the law excuses not"  If a dealer buys something stolen, they are receiving stolen property and can be charged.  Until the FTC starts doing their job, everyone down the line is put in financial jeopardy. 

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Bob, did you by chance contact PCGS? It is their reputation at stake here also. 

The Feds were notified before the auction ended and they were very interested in seeing what would happen.  Seems that they already had a heads up....

Hope they do and hope they prosecute the perps that did this.

bob 

54 minutes ago, AUandAG said:

The Feds were notified before the auction ended and they were very interested in seeing what would happen.  Seems that they already had a heads up....

Hope they do and hope they prosecute the perps that did this.

bob 

Glad to hear that. I actually went to the Secret Service website, but I was pressed for time and was not able to find a link to report  numismatic fakes. They need a big button on the home page that says, "TO REPORT A CRIME, CLICK HERE" for dummies like me.