• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NORFED Trillion Stars followup

10 posts in this topic

I had come to this forum about a year about a year ago with an interesting bullion round at the flea market.  I didn't really know much, people threw around the names Bernard von Nothaus and Daniel Carr, and it got me really into this stuff.  What I had gotten was a creation of Bernard von NotHaus with a TWENTY denomination on it and something that wasn't hawaiian nor a NORFED product, which is somewhat unusual for him.

I sold the bullion round I had bought for 20 for a hundred-something dollars.  That had me looking up stuff on the Liberty Dollar encyclopedia.  I had the owner of the Liberty Dollar encyclopedia contact Bernard von Nothaus for the following mintage information:

"5000 one ounce silvers were minted in 2009
200 #ed and gold plated
100 #ed
50 hallmarked with my hallmark" (B inside of a triangle inside of a circle done with a metal stamp as far as I can tell)

That's straight from the horse's mouth.  There seems to be an abundance of these coins in Florida.

This is the hallmarked coin what which I pried from the flea market dealer for 70 after explaining what they are and getting to know the fella:
P1110415.thumb.JPG.920b5aa06663597d6ea9405812ba3359.JPG

That is ONE out of FIFTY TOTAL PRODUCED!   I personally would let go of this coin for 300.

P1110416.JPG

I've always found the NORFED stuff / story interesting but they aren't that pretty and I just can't justify the premiums people want for them. Personally, while interesting his plan wasn't bright - there was never any chance the gov't would let him get away with that.

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

I've always found the NORFED stuff / story interesting but they aren't that pretty and I just can't justify the premiums people want for them. Personally, while interesting his plan wasn't bright - there was never any chance the gov't would let him get away with that.

To a lot of people they stopped making coins in 1964.

They now make tokens.

Edited by Johnston2

6 hours ago, Johnston2 said:

To a lot of people they stopped making coins in 1964.

They now make tokens.

Except we've pretty much always had lower denomination coins made out of copper and we've had nickels for a long time. So, I don't accept the idea that a coin can't be a legitimate coin just because it isn't  silver or gold.

Yeah. I would have preferred it if they hadn't debased the money as well, but that doesn't mean it stopped being money.

4 hours ago, Revenant said:

I would have preferred it if they hadn't debased the money as well

But if they hadn't you wouldn't have any coins now.  If they hadn't a silver dollar would now be the size of the old three cent silver piece with the Half, quarter, and dime proportionally sized.   Would you really want to try and put quarters into a vending machine that weighed half a gram and were 3 mm in diameter?

5 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

But if they hadn't you wouldn't have any coins now.  If they hadn't a silver dollar would now be the size of the old three cent silver piece with the Half, quarter, and dime proportionally sized.   Would you really want to try and put quarters into a vending machine that weighed half a gram and were 3 mm in diameter?

I think that assumes we would have continued on the same trajectory regardless and I'm not sure we would have, but that's just post-gaming history and I wasn't around (or born) at the time it all went down.

On 2/5/2019 at 10:55 PM, Johnston2 said:

I had come to this forum about a year about a year ago with an interesting bullion round at the flea market.  I didn't really know much, people threw around the names Bernard von Nothaus and Daniel Carr, and it got me really into this stuff.  What I had gotten was a creation of Bernard von NotHaus with a TWENTY denomination on it and something that wasn't hawaiian nor a NORFED product, which is somewhat unusual for him.

I sold the bullion round I had bought for 20 for a hundred-something dollars.  That had me looking up stuff on the Liberty Dollar encyclopedia.  I had the owner of the Liberty Dollar encyclopedia contact Bernard von Nothaus for the following mintage information:

"5000 one ounce silvers were minted in 2009
200 #ed and gold plated
100 #ed
50 hallmarked with my hallmark" (B inside of a triangle inside of a circle done with a metal stamp as far as I can tell)

That's straight from the horse's mouth.  There seems to be an abundance of these coins in Florida.

This is the hallmarked coin what which I pried from the flea market dealer for 70 after explaining what they are and getting to know the fella:
P1110415.thumb.JPG.920b5aa06663597d6ea9405812ba3359.JPG

That is ONE out of FIFTY TOTAL PRODUCED!   I personally would let go of this coin for 300.

P1110416.JPG

I have one of these, any clue what the value is today

On 2/6/2019 at 9:06 PM, numisport said:

I think this one is nice. Bought it from his place before problems set in, probably around 2008 ish.

5_20_2017_10_35_30_AM.jpg

Note that mine also has B inside triangle right below date. Also interesting is the coins 'medal turn' which is more cumbersome for me to handle when viewing in hand. When I purchased mine from their Evansville operation I was told these were 'prooflike' and not really proofs. This one is Deep Prooflike but has hairlines visible and probably not MS 67. Regardless this coin has incredible eye appeal to me.