• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To grade or not to grade - stunning 1853 seated dime

5 posts in this topic

Newbie here and this is my first of hopefully many posts.

I dug this 1853 seated w/arrows dime about a month ago. The condition is spectacular. It appears to have been lost as soon as it was minted and even shows original mint luster. 

As far as cleaning I ran it under cold water with a very soft bristle brush and that's it.

The only thing that detracts from this coin is a small plow kiss on the reverse. I am sure it would grade AU or better if the plow had missed it.

Should I still have the coin graded or just enjoy it as-is? This was my first ever dug silver coin.20181216_142717.jpg.07ffa5292dd2363a6153ff3c0a325818.jpg

20181216_142759.jpg

• Administrator

Dear Ken,

While I can’t tell you whether or not you should have the coins graded, you should consider a few things when making your decision. Your cost, the added grading cost and your ultimate plan for the coins--selling them or holding on to them, should be the basis of your decision.  If you follow auctions of similar coins on eBay, this will give you a good idea of what the slabbed coins trade for in comparison to the un-certified coins.  Often there is an increase in the amount customers are willing to pay for slabbed coins.

Thank you,

Lisa 

Lisa,

Thank you for your quick reply! I'm not too concerned about cost and shipping right now. I am fully aware that the fees may be more than the value of the actual coin.

My main concern is if the coin might get returned as not gradeable because of the slight damage on the reverse or will the damage be noted if it were graded and will that damage affect the grade? In other words, can damaged coins be graded?

Total newbie here so I greatly appreciate the advice.