• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964 Washington Quarter Motto... Slanted "I"

4 posts in this topic

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190202193743455_COVER-1512x1326.thumb.jpg.5ef4f3f2639cd4a16ebd279d7703b2cd.jpg

Hello, I've kept this 1964 quarter that I got who knows how many years ago as pocket change, and today I looked at it closely for the first time with a loupe.  I noticed that the "I" in the motto is clearly and very slanted.  I tried researching about it but couldn't find anything.  Any clue what this might be?  The L and Y in Liberty look a bit off as well, but I thought that could just be just damage...

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190202193737698_COVER-1512x1668.thumb.jpg.fc645a3d51745366f9eed49260862904.jpg

IMG_20190202_193652-1512x1629.thumb.jpg.946a559eb2a9d46f3b00cfb5899c6ddf.jpg

What confuses me is that if the I was straight, the bottom of the letter would be very close to the rim, but when I compared with other pictures the "In" is much further in.

This is actually my first post on the forums.  Sorry if I'm coming off as a newbie (which I am).  I've been sonewhat interested in coins since I was a kid but only enough to keep a cigar box full of circulated coins since I was a kid, most bicentennials and wheat pennies because they were not the normal coins I saw while growing up.  It wasn't until recently I started getting more into numismatics, not mention certified/slabbed coins.  I'm really looking forward to learning a lot on this site.  

Looks like the metal was moved after the strike. If you look, you can see a circular hit above and below the I. Maybe another coin got jammed hard against it. Could have been at the mint or later on.

That is interesting, but I don't know what happened.  Maybe someone who knows will chime in.  Looks like the "LIBERTY" has damage from a crimping machine or counting machine as it appears to involve each letter to some degree.  That may be what happened to the "IN" as well but Im not sure. 

8 minutes ago, MorganMan said:

Looks like the metal was moved after the strike. If you look, you can see a circular hit above and below the I. Maybe another coin got jammed hard against it. Could have been at the mint or later on.

I didn't notice that circular hit until I looked at the photos.  Not that noticeable with the naked eye.  Well, appreciate the reponses!