• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1969-S-S-S-S- Lincoln Memorial Cent

10 posts in this topic

Don't pack for the trip to the chocolate factory just yet, Charlie. It is just damage in the shape of an "s". In order for that to be an actual letter, someone at the mint would have had to find a punch for a different year or denomination - notice that it is not the same size or shape as the mint mark - then they would have had to punch the die on the rim. I am not saying that it would be impossible,  but the odds are very slim. Even slimmer when you consider the time since the coin was minted and the number of coins that would have that same "letter " on the rim. Certainly, after all these years, at least one other example would have been found by now. (Of course, that assumes that it would have been punched early in the life of the die and/or the die was  not destroyed after striking that one coin.)

My vote is "weird looking damage."

And, welcome to the forum, by the way.:hi:

51 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Don't pack for the trip to the chocolate factory just yet, Charlie. It is just damage in the shape of an "s". In order for that to be an actual letter, someone at the mint would have had to find a punch for a different year or denomination - notice that it is not the same size or shape as the mint mark - then they would have had to punch the die on the rim. I am not saying that it would be impossible,  but the odds are very slim. Even slimmer when you consider the time since the coin was minted and the number of coins that would have that same "letter " on the rim. Certainly, after all these years, at least one other example would have been found by now. (Of course, that assumes that it would have been punched early in the life of the die and/or the die was  not destroyed after striking that one coin.)

My vote is "weird looking damage."

And, welcome to the forum, by the way.:hi:

Yep.  Weird looking damage and agreed with all other points.  Better luck next time.

Double Dan,

It's your money, but I wouldn't recommend sending this coin off for certification.  First off, you're going to have the certification fee, which for a modern is at least $17 depending on the service tier you select.  Then you'll have return shipping back from NGC, which is at least $24 depending on what you insure the coin for.  You also have a $10 handling fee that applies to all NGC invoices.  So that's $51 right there.  And then there's what you'll have to pay to get the coin shipped to NGC, which will add more on to your total cost.  I know your coin looks weird, but it's just weird looking damage.  Look at all the things that Bob pointed out about the coin.  Think about how unlikely it would be for a mint mark to be punched into a die along the rim and then factor in that the alleged S does not look like the actual mint mark S on the coin.  From what I can see from the photos, the alleged rim S is also too small to be a misplaced S as well.  I've been collecting continuously for 20 years this year.  I've been selling coins for 11 years this year.  While I don't collect US coins any longer, I sell a lot of them and a lot of my business is moderns.  If I thought you had something there, I'd tell you.  But I really don't think that you do.  Let me ask you this: Have you taken the coin to a dealer for them to review?  I'd recommend doing so if you haven't yet.  That'd be a better first step to take than just sending this coin off and spending a lot of money to do so.   

22 minutes ago, Double Dan said:

It's not about the money. Thank you for your advisement. Its apprecieted:)

No problem.  It's up to you what you want to do.  It's your coin and your money.  I was just offering my thoughts based on my experiences.  Thank you for seeing my post for what it is.  :)

2 hours ago, Double Dan said:

Hi Bob,

Guess I'll just have to see how it comes back. Q: Are there different submission service type that's best for this sort of thing?

Here is a link to the services and fees: CLICK ME

Good luck, if you decide to submit it.