Chinese auction fakes
2 2

8 posts in this topic

244 posts

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/68449329_morgan-silver-coin

That coin only moderately resembles a trade dollar.  I can't believe it's getting bids.  The whole auction looks fake.  Every single coin has the same shade of toning.  Does anyone have an account with liveauctioneers?  Maybe somebody can email them and get them to knock that off.

About 6 months ago I saw very similar looking coins at an action on auctionzip.  They also came from China.  I emailed auctionzip.  At the time of the auction, they had not done anything about it.  Hundreds of coins were sold.  "Trade dollars" went for $20.  So obviously serious collectors knew they were fake.  But somebody got suckered.  I never did hear back from auctionzip, but at least I tried.

5,406 posts

That coin is a copy of a pattern trade dollar, J-1316. Obviously a fake, but not the worst I have ever seen.

It appears that every coin on that page is a fake. This site is going on the list. Thanks for the heads-up.

57 posts
3 hours ago, Lancek said:

"The whole auction looks fake".  

No doubt!

244 posts

To the websites credit, they did get back to me.  And are investigating.  But they now think I'm some sort of expert and want my help.  I'm no expert.  The one obvious fake jumped out at me.  With the rest it was more a feeling of they just all looked too similar.  If one or two had been in an auction with real coins, I probably would have scrolled right past and not even noticed.

If anybody else wants to work with them shoot me a pm.

5,406 posts
2 hours ago, Lancek said:

To the websites credit, they did get back to me.  And are investigating.  

In that case,, I will revise my post on the " Known Counterfeit" thread.

244 posts

I don't really blame liveauctioneers.  They host dozens of actions a day.  From multiple auction houses.  With thousands of lots.  And across a wide spectrum good.  They can't know everything about everything.  

I did send them a few more examples with obvious issues.  I found 6 that had the front of a seated liberty with the back of a Morgan.  And 4 seated liberty dollars that had a CC mint mark.  But a date that was decades before Carson City opened.  And that was just in the first 25 lots.  Yet they all had bids.  Some over $100.

244 posts

Just realized I put this thread in coin marketplace.  Not really where I intended to put it.  But I guess it's somewhat fitting.