• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre 1933 Gold

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, I just found this batch of pre 1933 gold from an estate sale.  The owner was going to melt them and I have to save these pieces of history for my collection.  I am not an expert in pre 1933 gold so I want to know if any of these are rare, key dates and most importantly should I grade them?   The pics can be found at this website: https://imgur.com/a/iOuzl0p  since my pics resolutions are too high to upload them here.   Thanks again for your comment.   

What Matt says.  If it were up to me and there was no  damage that I could see I would take the chance and have them graded.  This is just my opinion of this matter.

41 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

What Matt says.  If it were up to me and there was no  damage that I could see I would take the chance and have them graded.  This is just my opinion of this matter.

I see... I've only graded bullion coins before.  Do you think getting these conserved and then graded would do these coins any good? 

12 minutes ago, Simon Li said:

I see... I've only graded bullion coins before.  Do you think getting these conserved and then graded would do these coins any good? 

Bullion coins typically have little to no numismatic value beyond melt, but pre-33 Gold definitely does.  You will maximize your ability to sell the coins at a fair price if you get them graded.  I would not personally bother with conservation efforts, just get them graded/encapsulated.

I would not bother getting the coin from the necklace graded though.  The contact made with the casing makes really obvious marks on the coin offering very little numismatic value and those are typically cleaned (cleaning reduces coin values). 

3 minutes ago, Matt_dac said:

Bullion coins typically have little to no numismatic value beyond melt, but pre-33 Gold definitely does.  You will maximize your ability to sell the coins at a fair price if you get them graded.  I would not personally bother with conservation efforts, just get them graded/encapsulated.

Hi Matt, it seems like you have done this quite often.  So what is the cheapest option to get these graded and slabbed?  Also what is the turn around for these coins? 

1 minute ago, Simon Li said:

Hi Matt, it seems like you have done this quite often.  So what is the cheapest option to get these graded and slabbed?  Also what is the turn around for these coins? 

Others have done this a lot longer than I have but I'd pay the $25 for an NGC membership and then submit your coins to NGC.  It will cost you roughly $60 per coin to get them graded/encapsulated.  Once you have your coins back, check auction sites for the sold prices over the last say 2 years and this will give you a sense of the real value for each coin. 

1 hour ago, Matt_dac said:

Others have done this a lot longer than I have but I'd pay the $25 for an NGC membership and then submit your coins to NGC.  It will cost you roughly $60 per coin to get them graded/encapsulated.  Once you have your coins back, check auction sites for the sold prices over the last say 2 years and this will give you a sense of the real value for each coin. 

Got It thank you so much!