• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1942/1-P mercury dime

5 posts in this topic

I'm going to say that's definitely not the 1942/1.  There is no question about that coin once you've seen one in hand....the date actually looks like 19412.  Here's the Variety Plus photos of it:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dimes/mercury-dimes-1916-1945/816773/

As far as your coin, you may have a small cud or die chip at the base of the 2, giving it a somewhat strange appearance.

It's tough to tell from my eyes in the pictures.  I'd use a loop/magnifying glass and look closely comparing it to detailed pictures you can see online.

I recently picked up a 42/1:

42110c-9267-web.jpg

From what I am seeing it looks like it may be slightly rotated with strike doubling giving it the awkward look it just seems odd that there would be a die/cud chip or crack right in that spot I feel like I would have seen one like it before if that was the case but maybe ur right or it's a forgery, cuz it def. Doesnt have the exact appearance of the ngc stock photos although it carry's all the correct die markers that I could find

It is interesting that there does appear to be a faint complete 1 in just the right place.  It is nowhere near strong enough to be the known 42/1, but since there are already two obverse known, could a third be possible?  One thing that seems to argue against it though is since the 1 IS in the same place I would also expect to see the same doubling of the base of the upright of the 4 and I'm not seeing that in the images.  Of course since the 1 is weak the doubling on the 4 would be weak as well and just may not be showing up.