• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A shout out to NGC

24 posts in this topic

I am Buffalohead here on this forum and on the pcgs forum I an Crazyhounddog.  

Unfortunately our home was burn to the ground in the “Campfire” in, Paradise, California.  We lost everything.  I have a large collection of coins that were stored in a 2000 degree rated safe.  They didn’t burn but the plastic did melt and stuck fast to my coins.  NGC and PCGS has offered to reholder my coins free of charge. This was a gift I am so grateful to receive I can not put it into words how much I appreciated this wonderful gift.  My standout buffalo nickel was in the mix, a 1921 toned beauty, and I could not bear the thought of losing it.  I took my entire collection to the FUN show in Florida and turned them all over to my man, Paul Sandler, at NGC.  I can’t speak for Paul but I feel like I’ve made a new friend.  He is without question a very good man that I’d like to know better.  Back to my story.

I just received a call from my man, Paul that all of my coins made it without any problems.  After I hung the phone up I did something I haven’t done in years, a happy dance:banana:

Heres a pic of my safe when I finally got it to open.  It took me over an hour to get the tumblers to drop in place for the door to open.

Thank you NGC and thank you, Paul, for keeping me informed all along the way. Here’s a pic....

E380A4F4-699D-4A5B-AC8B-D97C2F1465E4.jpeg

19 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

VERY glad to hear that all of the coins made it, without problems and that you felt good enough for your dance! 

Good reason to dance for sure.  My star coins are still star coins and the rest of them made it without restoration.

You bet I danced:bigsmile:

Thank, Mark 

When I saw the condition of your safe and coin boxes right after the fire, I was really fearful that some of them might have been irreparably damaged. I am glad that wasn't the case. I am happy for you. :grin:

How things going with day to day living? Have you started to rebuild?

So glad to hear the good news. I believe miracles can and do happen. I've had nightmares about my modest collection being submerged under water, stolen.or simply vanishing. I'll try a dance too!:whee::golfclap:

Awesome news I'm sure that anyone of us would have been dancing also.  And a wonderful gesture on the part of NGC and PCGS to reholder your coins at no charge, here's to hoping you receive the same wonderful news ats.

6 hours ago, Just Bob said:

When I saw the condition of your safe and coin boxes right after the fire, I was really fearful that some of them might have been irreparably damaged. I am glad that wasn't the case. I am happy for you. :grin:

How things going with day to day living? Have you started to rebuild?

It will take years to rebuild in my old town.  They have made a mess of the cleanup along with the EPA up there plugging the soil for contamination it could take forever, who knows.  We are still struggling with that decision.  We have lived in that town in that house for 30 years and when I went back for the first time after the fire I missed my turn onto my own street.  That’s how different it looks with the trees gone and the structures burned to the ground, just leveled.  So rebuilding our homes, business in that town is still very much up in the air.

We have leased another house to live in for a year but it’s still about an hour away from ground zero. 

We are a strong crew so we will overcome this tragedy in time.

Thank you for asking.

So, to you NGC, Paul Sandler and this entire forum for the help, well wishes and prayers a very heartfelt thank you.

Joe and Family <3

Great news! Also, this is a good reminder for all of us that even with good safes, a hot fire can do some damage for sure.  That was quite a sturdy safe and still the plastic boxes melted.

Unfortunately can’t load my images here.  Some I can but other I can’t.

It keeps telling my they’re too big.  I’ll have to give it a try later on.

Happy hunting, Joe

4 hours ago, Buffalo Head said:

Happy hunting, Joe

There is a 4.8 mb (I think) per picture limit here. You can resize, or  link to an online hosting site, such as Photobucket. (Although this is not your first rodeo, so you probably know all of this already).

18 hours ago, Buffalo Head said:

Happy hunting, Joe

That's one awesome Buff! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more images if you can compress the files.

• Administrator

Hello Joe,

We were very happy to help such an awesome guy! I have definitely made a new friend as well, that's for sure. I'm glad your coins arrived safely and that you are satisfied with the work that NCS performed. 

Here's a link to the article on your story which just went live on our site!

Wishing you all the best!

-Paul