• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Learning about Thaler coin motifs

6 posts in this topic

I collect Thaler coins from the 1600's and 1700's. I like to learn about the history of the areas where the coins are from, and the inscriptions and meanings contained on them. The Davenport and World Coin books have resources for deciphering the inscriptions, but the symbols on the coins can be a challenge. Does anyone know of resources to learn about the symbols contained on these coins?

One interesting thing I learned about is the Order of the Golden Fleece. I have an Austrian Thaler where the ruler is wearing a giant chain around his neck. After researching a bit, I found the Order of the Golden Fleece and read about it. There are lots of things that I have yet to learn though - like coats of arms and symbols.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:53 PM, dna86 said:

Does anyone know of resources to learn about the symbols contained on these coins?

Not to sound flippant but the internet is likely your best resource.  I have found so many interesting things about the thalers, and other world crowns that I have collected, from diverse, on-line sources.  Other forum members, especially those that can do research in languages other than English, are invaluable.  On my last Journal entry I commented about trying to research the symbol that the Dutch call  "vuurijzers" and some great forum members (on other forums) were incredibly helpful.  Welcome to the forum and please post some info and photos of your thalers, and any questions you may have, here.

I appreciate the encouragement to research in the internet. I am not wanting anyone to do my work for me, but some things are hard to find if you don't know what to search for. What I am asking is for pointers for what to search for and I am willing to do the work.

I have a 1613 Austrian Thaler of Maximillian III which I have added a photo of. For legends, I have found the KM World Coins book and the Davenport references to be very helpful. In fact, I just received my copy of German Secular Thalers 1600-1700 this week. On this thaler, I am curious about the symbols on the reverse. I have read about the Ducal hat that appears at the top. However, the shield has several symbols that I can't seem to figure out. I have searched for Austrian coat of arms, and other stuff, but that has not yielded anything useful. Knowing what to search for in this area would be helpful.

Another thing that is interesting is the items they are wearing. As I mentioned, I figured out the Order of the Golden Fleece, but I have more to discover. On this thaler, he is wearing a cross which appears to be on a ribbon. I assume this is the symbol of another order, perhaps the Teutonic Knights since Maximillian was the contemporary Grand Master.

I have also been curious about the distinction between Further Austria and Inner Austria. I need to read some more on that so it will be more clear.

Thanks to everyone on this forum. I am looking forward to sharing with and learning from all of you.

1613 Austria Thaler D-3316-tn.jpg

Here is another thaler that I acquired this week for sharing. It is from Mansfeld.

I learned aa bit about this one from this post: 

I am curious about the significance of the 7 flags at the top.

thaler-obv.jpg

thaler-rev.jpg

For information on that Mansfeld thaler you might try sending a private message directly to mansfeld01.  And member Taler Universe has an exceptional collection of Austrian thalers and will likely be able to answer those questions.