• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Central States Convention. Worth paying for seminar?

11 posts in this topic

I've been collecting for about 10 years now. Nothing big, but I'm getting into it more and more. They're offering a course on how to grade coins at the central states convention. I believe it's sponsored by NGC. But it could be PCGS....but whatever.  I have no clue how to grade a coin and I'd like to be able to educate myself more on the subject, so that I can start sending in more coins. I'm hoping the class will at least teach me enough to know what coins NOT to submit for grading. I was wondering what you experienced folks think. Is it worth the time and money?  Have any of you ever taken the course? Thanks in advance. 

Get hands-on experience and advice from an expert grader ( I assume) ? Yes.

I have never taken the course, or any grading course, for that matter. I have only learned from pictures, looking at lots of coins, and practice. I have no doubt that I need to  learn much more, so I would definitely consider taking the course if I had the time and money.

If my student loan balances tell me anything about myself, it's that I'm willing to pay to learn.  I'm going to say yes, the seminar sounds worthwhile.  I'd go for it myself.

I would like very much to take that course and if given by NGC, PCGS or ANA I'm sure it would be worth the money.  Let us know how it works out for you.

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

I would like very much to take that course and if given by NGC, PCGS or ANA I'm sure it would be worth the money.  Let us know how it works out for you.

A guy by the name of John Schuch II, is doing the class. If any of you are in the Chicago area, here's the lowdown on the course. Sounds very interesting:

Schuch, who joined Northern Nevada Coins as a numismatist this spring, previously worked as an NGC grader for 13 years. He taught grading classes at the Summer Seminar for eight years and has taught classes at coin shows around the country.  "Introduction to Grading," he said, will cover not only how to grade coins, but also how to recognize problem coins including some no-grade pieces, counterfeits and alterations, such as added Mint marks. Schuch is a member of the Industry Council for Tangible Assets' Anti-Counterfeiting Task Force, serving on the group's education and research work groups. The class will examine proper lighting, the subtleties of About Uncirculated versus Mint State, the differences between strike and wear and the key attributes commonly considered to constitute positive eye appeal. Lighting, he said, is crucial. NGC graders, who handle hundreds of coins a day, work in a dark room with an incandescent light focused on the center of each grader's desk. The class will consist of hands-on opportunities to view and grade a multitude of copper, silver and gold coins. The class will be conducted from noon to 6 p.m. Monday, April 22, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, in the second floor Serenity Room at the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel and Convention Center, in advance of the Central States convention, which runs April 24-27. The convention's security room opens at 1 p.m. Monday and will be available to grading students. The class is limited to 15 students, with registration offered on a first-come basis. Registration fee is $150.

It says students will be allowed to go into the "security room." I can't seem to find any data on it. Does anyone know what the "security room" is all about? 

I'd say yes, go...books can give you a one up or two but interaction with knowledgeable humans may offer a hands on rewarding experience...make sure to sort out what you don't want and keep those that you do...very opinionated hobby but the truth can be found...you'll know them by their fruits....peace 

The security room is a guarded room where dealers arriving early for the show can store their coins where they will be safe under armed guard protection.  Otherwise they would have to leave them either in their vehicles or hotel rooms, both of which would be a big security risk for theft.  The advertisement is extending the use of the security room to the participants in the grading seminar since they will be there before the show opens as well.

On 1/30/2019 at 11:19 PM, Conder101 said:

The security room is a guarded room where dealers arriving early for the show can store their coins where they will be safe under armed guard protection.  Otherwise they would have to leave them either in their vehicles or hotel rooms, both of which would be a big security risk for theft.  The advertisement is extending the use of the security room to the participants in the grading seminar since they will be there before the show opens as well.

Conder, I'm still confused. Why would they allow "students" into the security room? What is the purpose of that? 

They aren't so much letting the students into the room as they are letting them use it to store any valuables, cons, etc that they are bringing to the show.  Just like they do the dealers.  It is a perk of being registered for the seminar.  Some of the students are also part time or vest pocket dealers, and they may have inventory they have brought with them to stry to sell to dealers once the show opens.  The security room gives them a safe place to store them until the show opens.  The seminar is one or two days before the show.