• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help. 1972 double die

8 posts in this topic

I know I will need to get this graded but any ideas about what this could be worth?  Which did version of the 1972 is it?  New to collecting and found searching a penny box.

20190125_215754.jpg

Right offhand I'd say yeah, send it in. It needs to be authenticated and encapsulated; it is an actual 1972/72 double die (congrats!), and I think it would slab for 63RB just from what I can see. Market value in the $300s. It does not go up stratospherically from there, but it's the type of piece for which encapsulation was meant.

Excellent find. For all the mechanical doubling we see here, and have to break bad news to people about that or their 1776 Continental or their bad fake 1804 silver dollar, it is invigorating to be able to say: yep, that sure looks like an authentic double die--and the condition is wonderful.

It looks like a winner to me, too! Congrats on that one.  Definitely send it in, it's totally worth doing that with your coin.

Very Nice Specimen! Very Nice Prominent obvious Obverse Doubling! Definitely appears to be A True 1972 DD/O in High Grade also appears to have nice pinwheels, luster, and Nice Red Color from what I can see. Also appears to be off Center to some degree from a DD with possibly a misaligned die or broad struck error as well! A great score and find Congratulations! Definitely worth submitting to NGC and worth the investment to have it encapsulated, graded, and authenticated by NGC from what I can see in your photos it's a beauty! Capone1929