• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on leaving negative feedback on eBay

33 posts in this topic

I've had a couple difficult situations on eBay, but ultimately came to a compromise that was fair for both the buyer and seller. I have never left negative feedback. I am considering it now on the following purchase. I bought a NGC holdered coin that was wrapped in some type of thin plastic, not bubble, and wrapped in a sheet of newspaper, placed in a regular paper envelope and sent through international post.  When the coin arrived the NGC holder was broken. I contacted the seller and offered to keep the coin if he would pay to have the coin relsabbed by NGC. I would pay the shipping to and from NGC. He replied that he sent it in good condition and the broken slab could be overlooked because it's just plastic. I advised him that he was responsible for the item being received in good condition - no reply.

This was an expensive coin that I have decided to keep because it is also scarce/rare. After seeing the damage would you leave negative feedback? Just curious.

image.jpg

I reserve negative feedback for items clearly not as advertised that cannot be resolved with the seller. ( I think I have given one neg in all the years I have been buying on Ebay.) In this situation I would probably leave a neutral with an explanation.

Yes, I would neg the seller. Something I almost never do either, but this is one I would do because of the poor response to your very fair offer to square things. After all, you're still left with the hassle of reholdering because of the seller's negligence. 

The poor response followed by silence would earn him a negative with me - especially given that you offered a very reasonable solution and offered to eat part of the cost yourself. Even that I think is asking more of you than it should given that packing the coin like that is extremely sloppy and lazy. If he'd taken the deal you offered I think I would have still been quite tempted to leave a neutral at that point just to highlight for others what this guy's standard of packaging looks like.

I almost never give anything but positive feedback, even when the seller makes some mistakes. But he earns it with that attitude.

32 minutes ago, Zebo said:

I've had a couple difficult situations on eBay, but ultimately came to a compromise that was fair for both the buyer and seller. I have never left negative feedback. I am considering it now on the following purchase. I bought a NGC holdered coin that was wrapped in some type of thin plastic, not bubble, and wrapped in a sheet of newspaper, placed in a regular paper envelope and sent through international post.  When the coin arrived the NGC holder was broken. I contacted the seller and offered to keep the coin if he would pay to have the coin relsabbed by NGC. I would pay the shipping to and from NGC. He replied that he sent it in good condition and the broken slab could be overlooked because it's just plastic. I advised him that he was responsible for the item being received in good condition - no reply.

This was an expensive coin that I have decided to keep because it is also scarce/rare. After seeing the damage would you leave negative feedback? Just curious.

image.jpg

If the picture shows everything, this is a cosmetic concern only. The lips often chip on these holders, even when properly packaged. That said, he did not package the coin properly, and that did not help. Being that it is a question of $10, you would think the seller would give in and pay.

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

image.jpg

As many of you know, I sell a lot of coins on Ebay and I always strive for complete and total satisfaction for all of my buyers.  Mistakes happen, and it's good to exercise restraint when leaving negative feedback as such feedback can really affect people's businesses.  However, the poor packaging of the item was the fault of the seller and the slab was damaged through the seller's negligence.  And, in my opinion, the seller's response to you is unacceptable.  If I had a buyer report a broken slab, I would take care of it for them or accept a return.  I think that you are justified in leaving a negative for the seller. 

The seller didn't package the merchandise correctly and then tried to blow you off with a lame excuse. I also do not very often leave negative feedback, but in this case he's earned it.

You gave him a full, fair chance to make the problem go away. He could have done so just by giving you a credit that would cover the reslabbing cost, and you were even offering to pay the freight to and from NGC.

He authored his problem. He needs to own it. You did the nice guy thing and were more than reasonable. This seller's potential customers need to know that with this guy, the packaging is poor and the attitude is a match.

In the 9 or so years that I have been on eBay, I have only given one negative feedback. With that being said, most of the issues I have had were minor and were solved through fair negotiations. You made a very reasonable offer. The seller blew you off and failed to address his negligence. I personally would leave negative feedback. It would be a different story if he at least apologized and/or offered some compensation.

Does this font look large to anyone else? I responded on my phone and it looks giant to me. 

1 minute ago, coinsandmedals said:

In the 9 or so years that I have been on eBay, I have only given one negative feedback. With that being said, most of the issues I have had were minor and were solved through fair negotiations. You made a very reasonable offer. The seller blew you off and failed to address his negligence. I personally would leave negative feedback. It would be a different story if he at least apologized and/or offered some compensation.

Does this font look large to anyone else? I responded on my phone and it looks giant to me. 

I see giant font as well :)

2 minutes ago, bottlebum said:

Send him a link to this thread, and then see what happens. If he still refuses your offer, neg. him.

I like this idea as I have never provided negative feedback - thanks everyone.

4 minutes ago, bottlebum said:

Send him a link to this thread, and then see what happens. If he still refuses your offer, neg. him.

That's a great idea bottlebum.....give the guy one more chance in the face of new information.

6 minutes ago, bottlebum said:

That is a really good idea. I would be interested in hearing how they respond. 

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

I see giant font as well :)

Thank you for the confirmation. I’ve been looking at a computer screen all day putting the final touches on a manuscript resubmission and I was unsure if I had lost what little sanity I had before the process started. 

8 minutes ago, bottlebum said:

I hope that the seller does right by you, Zebo.

If he refuses to, maybe post his seller name, here, so that we all know who NOT to buy from?

Yet another great idea bottlebum!  There are many good sellers and dealers out there.....if this guy won't make it right with Zebo, the rest of us should really avoid dealing with him. 

14 minutes ago, Zebo said:

I like this idea as I have never provided negative feedback - thanks everyone.

14 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

That's a great idea bottlebum.....give the guy one more chance in the face of new information.

10 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

That is a really good idea. I would be interested in hearing how they respond. 

I just can't stand it when a seller doesn't take the time to package an item properly. It's really disappointing to see an item that you've searched for, spent good money on, and then waited patiently for, get destroyed because of careless packing. It's like once they get your money, they could care less what happens, afterwards. What they do not seem to understand, is that the item is still theirs until the buyer accepts, and is satisfied with it.

10 hours ago, coinsandmedals said:

I had to read your post while looking backwards through my binoculars ! :whatthe:

9 hours ago, bottlebum said:

I wouldn’t do that. I think it could be construed as threatening negative feedback, which Ebay could frown upon.

The seller is fairly new to eBay, six sales under his belt. He is from India. He ended up offering to refund half the grading cost $20 (grading and submission fee is $40), which I accepted. No negative feedback. I wanted to try out NGC's scratch free holders, mentioned in another thread, so I will try it out on this one. 

Damage can happen anytime and it's the sellers responsibility to package it correctly, which he did not. I hope that he learns from this and does better in the future. I wanted the coin - even with the large chip in the holder - it was more a matter of principle for me. 

I don't leave any feedback for anyone. The entire system is useless and broken. 

The last time I left negative feedback, the seller somehow got it deleted. What's the point of wasting my time? 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

I don't leave any feedback for anyone. The entire system is useless and broken. 

The last time I left negative feedback, the seller somehow got it deleted. What's the point of wasting my time? 

Under the eBay system, they may also block you.  Most might not care and wonder why anyone would want to buy from the same seller again but it might happen.

I bought from a well known prior forum member here who has been selling on eBay for years.  I had several transactions with them with no problems.  This was all for graded coinage.  I then bought an ungraded coin relying on their images and my perception of their reputation.  When I received the coin, it wasn't terrible but I contacted the seller to return it.  My messages were ignored, including through this forum.  I was subsequently blocked for leaving a neutral.

A little late to the party...but I agree s/he should have cheerfully and politely paid for the re-holder.  It's not just 'the plastic holder', the grading is a large part of why I'll by a coin online.

As a complete contrast I'd received this slab, though it was packaged well and sent express yet the post office managed to really do a number on it.  Thankfully the coin was fine, and thankfully it wasn't a different coin in the shipment that was in one of the special Bank of Japan hoard slabs.  I contacted the seller who IMMEDIATELY offered for me to send it back to him at his cost so he could get it re-slabbed.  A bit risky as IIRC it was borderline for requiring a new grading event given the degree of compromise.  

I happened to be sending in a submission (and live a bit closer to Florida than he does) so I sent it in with my own.  The seller cut me a check for all fees including shipping.  The coin came back in the fresh holder and same grade thankfully.  I think it ended up being just a reholder, but it was pretty close.  

Anyway, I guess my point is that the seller did not deliver the coin AND slab intact and immediately took all responsibility and covered costs.  Some sellers seem to think their responsibility ends when they drop it in the mail.  Not so.  We pay to get a package delivered to us with the item as advertised.  If something happens in transit that is still on the seller and s/he can take it up with the post office (or their private insurance carrier).

broken slab combo.jpg

Just a thought if it ever happens again...EBay is pretty useless, but PayPal isn’t. They have a 6 month window (handy on some ancients that ended up coming back as Not Genuine from NGC) and you can propose a partial refund to close the dispute also, which is what you were looking for. If the seller never responds to PayPal, you get a full refund and keep the coin. If for some reason, the seller decides they will refund you on you returning the coin, you can always still say no and simply close the case. PayPal has saved me numerous times from unscrupulous sellers. Just an alternative thought...