• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1863 2 cent

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There were pattern two-cent pieces coined with the date 1863. A few are quite similar in design the the adopted type of 1864, and you may have one of these. Pattern coins are rare and would require authentication.

Does anyone want me to put up a picture.  It might be a 1868, but it looks like 1863.  The bottom loop looks closed, but it looks to be worn.  There is also damage by the last digit, so that makes it even harder.  I will probably anyways put a picture to get opinions.  I'll take a picture of the date and the motto.  The middle word is worn well and not legible, so it has to be the date that i sshould show.  Thank you everyone!!

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0664.JPGIMG_0712.thumb.jpg.3b6e2d53a5340d16f52c744e2b5978a7.jpg

You can probably see that the number is a 3.  My dad thinks it's an 8, but I can see that even though on the left side of the three there is thicker print, that it is flattened as if worn.  It is also damaged which doesn't help.  Hope this makes it easier to identify.  Please reply if you think I should send it in or if I shouldn't and why.  Thank you!!

Looks like a damaged "8" to me. I would not send it in to be graded, if it were mine. I think it would come back with a "details" grade, meaning it was too damaged to give a straight grade.

I see an 8 as well.  I think that the damage to the 8 can make it look like a 3 from some angles, but I'm confident that you have an 1868 coin.