• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964D Prooflike Quarter

8 posts in this topic

I was recently trawling Ebay, looking for something sweet to buy. I happened upon this coin, and I was very surprised to see it. Prooflike coins from 1964 are quite rare - and this particular seller had 2 of them! I bought one, and finally got to take pictures of it today. 

This coin is graded NGC 64 PL. It isn't a very high grade coin - but it is the correct grade. There are 4 quarters designated from the Denver mint in 1964 (2 in 64, and one each 65 and 66). I had never actually seen one in person before this one arrived a couple of days ago. 

In hand, the obverse mirrors are quite strong. The reverse mirrors are weaker, especially in certain areas around the eagle's head and under the wings. However, the obverse practically shines in the dark. 

This is a fantastic coin, and it joins a host of other prooflike coins. I'd like to compare this coin, however, to my other 1964 - a Kennedy graded 64*. I recently sent the Kennedy in for designation review because I think it is fully PL, but NGC didn't agree. So, I just have a star. 

Anyways, both of these 1964 coins have mirrors which are quite different from other eras. The mid-20th century prooflike coins are characterised by heavy die polish. These 1964 coins do have some polish evident, but it is much more subtle. The die polish is quite light, comparatively. This gives these coins a much more striking mirror finish - much closer to an actual proof than the S mint coins of the 30's-50's. 

I hope you enjoy these coins. If you have any prooflikes from the 1960's, go ahead and post them! 

attachFull878484 attachFull878485 attachFull878486 attachFull878487

Those are very nice coins Physics-fan......you definitely know your PLs!  Do you know what NGC's parameters are for attributing a Proof Like?  I have a couple of Ottoman nickel 20 para coins that I think could qualify for a PL designation, but they did not receive one when I submitted them to NGC.  I submitted them years ago though, so I don't know if that makes a difference.  I thought I'd ask you because you do know your PLs.

Thanks in advance!

~Tom

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Those are very nice coins Physics-fan......you definitely know your PLs!  Do you know what NGC's parameters are for attributing a Proof Like?  I have a couple of Ottoman nickel 20 para coins that I think could qualify for a PL designation, but they did not receive one when I submitted them to NGC.  I submitted them years ago though, so I don't know if that makes a difference.  I thought I'd ask you because you do know your PLs.

Thanks in advance!

~Tom

The only PL I have ever owned was an 1892 South Africa ZAR penny.  It graded MS-64 RB PL and is now one of the seven in the NGC census for all color combinations.  It was graded in 2005, so though I don't know when NGC started assigning the designation to world coinage, I assume it applies universally at least since this date.

Of the series I collect, there aren't many.  A few other SA ZAR denominations; I believe an 1892 crown and 1894 two shillings.  Also a single 1936 two shillings and a couple of 1934 half penny.  I believe one Mexico pillar dollar (maybe more) but can't remember the date without checking.  Outside of series specifically struck with this finish (such as 1960's and 1970's mint sets), the number from my review is quite low.  Exceptions include the 1861 Mexico 2R and 1821 Guatemala 1/2R or 1/R.

2 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

The only PL I have ever owned was an 1892 South Africa ZAR penny.  It graded MS-64 RB PL and is now one of the seven in the NGC census for all color combinations.  It was graded in 2005, so though I don't know when NGC started assigning the designation to world coinage, I assume it applies universally at least since this date.

Of the series I collect, there aren't many.  A few other SA ZAR denominations; I believe an 1892 crown and 1894 two shillings.  Also a single 1936 two shillings and a couple of 1934 half penny.  I believe one Mexico pillar dollar (maybe more) but can't remember the date without checking.  Outside of series specifically struck with this finish (such as 1960's and 1970's mint sets), the number from my review is quite low.  Exceptions include the 1861 Mexico 2R and 1821 Guatemala 1/2R or 1/R.

Now that's interesting......I know I graded my 20 Paras after 2005.  The coins I was stumped on were my 1327/2 and 1327/4 20 Paras.  After reading what you wrote, I just reexamined them....I think the mirrors aren't deep enough, which is probably why they didn't get the PL.  It makes more sense now.

I don't collect many series myself.  My main series pursuits are Ottoman Nickel 5, 10, 20 and 40 paras along with early East German coins.  I may expand out into a couple of other late Ottoman sets, but who knows?  I want to finish the Nickel Paras first, and since I'm pursuing them in Mint State, that will take time and resources.....I should probably keep my focus there!

Thanks for the input World Colonial, it was a big help!

Tom

2 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Now that's interesting......I know I graded my 20 Paras after 2005.  The coins I was stumped on were my 1327/2 and 1327/4 20 Paras.  After reading what you wrote, I just reexamined them....I think the mirrors aren't deep enough, which is probably why they didn't get the PL.  It makes more sense now.

I don't collect many series myself.  My main series pursuits are Ottoman Nickel 5, 10, 20 and 40 paras along with early East German coins.  I may expand out into a couple of other late Ottoman sets, but who knows?  I want to finish the Nickel Paras first, and since I'm pursuing them in Mint State, that will take time and resources.....I should probably keep my focus there!

Thanks for the input World Colonial, it was a big help!

Tom

You are welcome.

My focus is narrow too but I still enjoy spending time reviewing other coins I don't collect, a lot of it.  I check eBay, auction firms such as Heritage and on Sixbid, PCGS Facts and the TPG population data.  I use it for general reference and where applicable, as a point of reference for what I collect.  Example:  Since I don't know how scarce my primary series (Bolivia, Guatemala and Peru) pillar minors actually is, I attempt to infer it from other series which appear to be a reasonable comparison.

I also have a few other coins with reflective fields, but as you stated.  One is a 1936 South Africa shilling.  I bought it as a PL but when I received it, only the obverse.  NGC can also be quite strict in awarding CAM and DCAM; stricter than PCGS for the coins I own at least.  One is a 1957 SA penny with the deepest obverse mirrors I have ever seen but it must have been the reverse which did not quality.

Man, you did very well with that purchase...If only I had seen it first...my stomach is in knots...thanks Jason!!! Lol.  

I purchased this '64-D from DM Rare Coins not to long ago.  Fully PL with obverse, and strong semi-pl, almost full on reverse.  

017.thumb.JPG.d7b72d92e8133d67b0b6ec1cd4700059.JPG014.JPG.cf14e85d25c9c1e52310cf9cb69a80e5.JPG

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, PocketArt said:

Man, you did very well with that purchase...If only I had seen it first...my stomach is in knots...thanks Jason!!! Lol.  

I purchased this '64-D from DM Rare Coins not to long ago.  Fully PL with obverse, and strong semi-pl, almost full on reverse.  

017.thumb.JPG.d7b72d92e8133d67b0b6ec1cd4700059.JPG014.JPG.cf14e85d25c9c1e52310cf9cb69a80e5.JPG

Can't believe it's not designated prooflike..... it looks like a proof !