• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 liberty nickel

8 posts in this topic

8EBBC610-15E6-42EA-A45A-28F3B62EC740.thumb.jpeg.c4ed6e302275e6f2e7b31ef356268b6d.jpegI have an 1883 liberty v nickel without “cents” or a motto- just a blank space where they are on other like coins. Has anyone ever seen one- I can’t find any online to compare. I know in 1883 Barber left it blank and it was quickly “fixed” by insertion of the word “cents” due to fraudulent people casing it in gold and passing it off as $5 coin. Could it be one that never got “fixed”? 8EBBC610-15E6-42EA-A45A-28F3B62EC740.thumb.jpeg.c4ed6e302275e6f2e7b31ef356268b6d.jpeg

F5B13E8C-25E8-4A3E-93BB-C87CE34A8596.jpeg

Hello and Welcome!

Well, the photos are not too clear, but from what I can tell, you have a damaged coin.  I can make out what looks like scratches where the word Cents would be, indicating that someone removed it through mechanical means once the coin left the mint.  I can also discern that your coin is one of the With Cents varieties as the motto E Pluribus Unum is visible at the top of the wreath.  On the No Cents variety, the E Pluribus Unum was at on the lower reverse, where your coin is "blank".  Barber did not leave any nickels "blank", they either had E Pluribus Unum or Cents on that area of the coin.

I hope this was of some help!

Mohawk is correct. Even on the pattern 5 cent pieces, that space was occupied by either the motto, the word "cents", or in the case of the patterns from 1881 and '82, (J 1671 - J 1686) the lower part of a much larger  wreath. There were never any coins made that match yours. 

And, welcome to the forum.:hi:

What is too bad is the 1883 WITH cents is the more valuable one.  Someone took a with cents coin and removed the word CENTS (On the without cents version E PLURIBUS UNUM was at the bottom of the coin, on the with cents it is above the wreath.)  I have seen this done before.

Welcome! I'm Not trying to discourage you or be negative, but from the quality of the photos and what I can see, this looks like a copy, novilty, counterfeit, or token type coin in many ways to me! I could be mistaken as I am basing this on what I can see in your photos. I have several 1883 nickels in a few varieties including errors and an authentic "1883 without cents 24kt gold plated Racketeers Nickel" and the main reason for the transition in 1883 and change. Thus making this coin the key date from first year of issue and transition in variety alike, from "no cent" to "with Cents" as to stop counterfeiting and passing it off as a solid GOLD coin making it many times more valuable instead of its (V/ 5 cent face value) causing many financial institutions to fluctuate rapidly not to mention the poor mercantile shop owner to go out of business (hence it's name) point being None of my 1883 varieties look like the one in your photos! I'm not confident in it, don't let it get you down, let it inspire you to build your knowledge and collection! Good Luck! Capone1929