• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading coins for inventory

11 posts in this topic

Good Morning Everyone, 

I have a question. I am new to the grading of coins and most of what I have are all raw coins. I am learning that there are different variations to a lot of the coins as well. But I need help. I feel the only way to really learn is to grade them myself and then get the opinions of experienced collectors like yourselves. What would be the best way to be able to get your help on this topic?

Thanks you for your time and vast knowledge.

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you start by buying a book ( or two or three) on coin grading, if you haven't already. The "Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins" has pictures that can be compared to your coins, and one of the forum members here, PhysicsFan3.14 has also written a good book that helps explain the why's and wherefore's of coin grading. It is called "The Art and Science of Grading Coins."

Additionally, you can post clear, close-up pictures here, asking for opinions on grade and condition. There are not as many active members as there once were, but those of us who are here will be glad to help.

Probably the best advice that I can give you, though, is to look at lots and lots of coins in hand, and be patient. Proficiency in any skill comes with time and repetition.

Thank you Just Bob for the info. I know PCGS has their Photograde coinfacts option. Would that be a good resource as well? Where do you recommend I post the pictures on here?

I like the fact that the pictures are free and readily available, although I have trouble making out detail in some of them, especially dark copper. Since this site is provided by NGC, I am a bit leery of recommending their competition.

You can post pics here in the Newbie section, or in the US, world, and ancient section. Either place should get some response. Just make sure that they are clear enough to show details.

One of the most important things you can absorb about each coin type is: what did they look like when fully, correctly struck and uncirculated? The logic is this: they all began uncirculated. They did not all begin fully or correctly struck, and the farther back you go in minting technology, the more variable the outcomes. But if you know how the coin was intended to look, you can then see its outcomes in terms of deviations from that intended look.

This really sunk into me when I got a proof Barber half dollar. I'd always thought of the Barber designs as generally dowdy. Once I'd seen all the detail the designer had intended for the coin, I had a new respect for this generation of coinage. I also realized that with any coin I needed to know how it was intended to look in order to understand why it didn't look as intended. Had it ever? Or had it begun with a weak strike, or machine doubling, or a strike from a worn or cracked die?

It takes seeing a lot of coins. But one great reference point is to find the sharpest image you can of the nicest example you can.

I endorse Bob's recommendation of Jason's book. It's an excellent companion to a grading guidebook.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:21 AM, Just Bob said:

Since this site is provided by NGC, I am a bit leery of recommending their competition.

If NGC doesn't want us to quote the PCGS photograde site the best thing for them to do would be to post a similar grading aid on their site.

I guess I just don't understand the title of this thread. I can't readily think of what "Grading coins for inventory" might mean to you. The last thing I'd suggest is a "have everything commercially graded" strategy, and I say that as a paid membership NGC submitter. A very small percentage of my coins are NGC candidates, and I'm going to guess the same is true for you. About grading and books: they are "wunnerful" for circulated coins. Grading mint state coins can be equal parts art, science, and voodoo dark arts. There is no way to use sample photos to learn a whole bunch about grading mint state coins.