• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charmy's 2019 FUN SHOW Report with Lots of Pics!

7 posts in this topic

Having had a 6-week hiatus away from shows, I was REALLY looking forward to the FUN show. For me, it's always been the best show of the year, both buying and selling. And this show did not disappoint. I've read a few reports with mixed reviews, but based on my personal experience at this FUN show, it was super busy and very successful. On Wednesday I did most of my buying, and on Thursday, I never even left my table until 5pm. Friday was a little slower than Thursday, but still had very steady traffic.

As you all know, since I specialize in copper, I personally can't gauge how the market in general is doing. I can say that based on my sales, quality Indian and Lincoln cents are still strong and popular, but early copper seems to have flattened over the last year. But if you're looking for what's going on in the coin market as a whole or reports on how bullion was selling, perhaps you may want stop reading here.

In this report, as usual, you will see pictures of my "nasty wine, while eating whatever," along with pics of the "lights of the city," and of course last but not least "how pretty my coins are." You'll also see pictures of some of the educational exhibits at the show, some of the forum members who stopped by, some of the faces behind the grading tables, photos of the bourse floor in general, and more. So if you're just wanting to be entertained and follow along my adventures at this coin show, then sit back, grab your favorite glass of nasty wine or other beverage, and read on!

I left chilly but sunny SoCal Tuesday morning. As usual, we took off from John Wayne Airport heading west over the ocean, then turned back and headed east. The view of Newport Beach and the coastline is always breathtaking from the sky.

6gz47ji7vdkb.jpg

0e5obbjvdrd7.jpg

vs0yxy58ubq4.jpg

0hg35r4xpshs.jpg

fcancmopf9w6.jpg

I connected through Houston, then finally landed in Orlando Tuesday night.

yypj6ms2uj6w.jpg

Rick had arrived on Monday and had rented a car so he was kind enough to pick me up at the airport. After I checked in to my hotel (one of the many "Rosen" hotels in the area), we walked across International Drive (right past the famous upside down house) and grabbed a bite and drinks at one of the local pubs, and listened to some great music.

1oqpo1vz20wz.jpg

8o67tz0ud1yc.jpg

The next morning (Wednesday) after sleeping in a little, we grabbed breakfast then headed over to the convention center to view some auction lots and do a little business before the bourse opened for dealer set up.

5qidhhcqauiq.jpg

k6124alje1f2.jpg

By the time the doors opened at 2pm, there was a huge crowd of dealers waiting to get in.

o23ou8s6uc0g.jpg

wn8nq9qzuysq.jpg

csjqkyggrq42.jpg

I set up pretty quickly, and it wasn't long before my usual vest pocket dealers began stopping by to show me their Pretty Pennies. I also took a few minutes to hit some of my favorite dealer tables to see if I could fill some want lists. Wow, I found some fabulous and scarce pennies at this show, including an 1888/7 in PCGS F12, a beautiful 1877 in PCGS MS65 BN, a unblemished 1914-D in PCGS MS64 RD, and a colorfully toned1916 MPL in PCGS PF66 RB!

ffut4cxsq0ym.jpg

o4dd7l7uvdb3.jpg

s1w2wclu77g8.jpg

8cioujfddfqc.jpg

I also found more than the usual number of quality Pretty Pennies throughout the show.

nwyopnu503dp.jpg

Here are a couple pics of the bourse floor taken from my table (1025) during set up (that's Rick's son Kenny in the dark red shirt photo-bombing my pic!)

homu8g227ha8.jpg

sg6er3idvnux.jpg

After things settled down later in the afternoon, I opened one of my very favorite "nasty" wines that I had brought with me - Rombauer Cab!

5gwh3gko6g23.jpg

My buddy Neal (retired FBI now coin dealer) happened by and shared a cup with me.

1b9mtecyr2uj.jpg

After set up was over, a group of us headed over to Charley's Steak House on International Drive for an amazing dinner! It is located right across from the very scary looking Starflyer ride which is all lit up at night and changes colors.

vadpcpwotlgf.jpg

85hei7jtmtwt.jpg

serjstqzkuyq.jpg

Charley's is rather pricey but I can't say I've ever had a better steak! And their lobster bisque was full of tasty chunky lobster.

jkrj1ixs1tnm.jpg

5ieb6bn4z8nr.jpg

uqqlm1cddvd8.jpg

ocd9xerj3on7.jpg

gt5etuwhhwm0.jpg

rxfvi4vv7qj0.jpg

Of course we had some great wine too! They have a huge wine selection - this bottle of Rodney Strong Cab was one of their featured wines and it was so amazing that we had two bottles!

jgncd91vde3b.jpg

tttsxajxyeqr.jpg

o3nz3phr78o9.jpg

hy4hu289em7d.jpg

The show opened to the public on Thursday.

sjbbmvzmizk7.jpg

I was non-stop busy from the moment the public began streaming in until 5pm when I had to leave for a meeting. It was great to be so busy that the day just flew by! Again, these are photos of the bourse taken from different directions at my table location.

gphykhcmtcet.jpg

fhwh2tadcuds.jpg

2iarm5n1h12n.jpg

Dave/DPoole took a moment to stop by to say hi

hvhahu11zu2c.jpg

I also picked up a couple of nice penny pocket mirrors for my collection, including a couple that John Kraljevich had set aside for me.

oak1p3w93tnb.jpg

cbvt1nbp3h1n.jpg

gl9c6r6cq7gu.jpg

John also sold Rick Snow these two original letters from the designer of the Indian cent, James Longacre. They were written shortly before he died.

9tnds43zyj3j.jpg

mqg8tad6mw57.jpg

6rvmtzoau4ld.jpg

I also bought this very cool Christmas postcard that would be given out with a penny tucked inside the tiny envelope that is glued to the inside of the card.

cbp708rcg4cj.jpg

6x6ada7i8a82.jpg

After the show ended, six of us headed over to PF Changs - I know it's a chain, but when you're in the mood for Chinese food, you can't go wrong with PF Changs. Our table was filled with lots of great and varied dishes! And what goes better with Chinese food than a very tasty refreshing Mai Tai!

ub0jshcr9l1j.jpg

8uqq2p3qvx1j.jpg

vj5v7sho0esa.jpg

Knowing that Rick and I are huge Game of Throne fans, during dinner Neal presented both of us with actual rocks he picked up from one of the castles in Dubrovnik, Croatia, where Game of Thrones was filmed!

zt1bd5ago8nr.jpg

Although Friday wasn't nearly as busy for me as Thursday was, it was still steady and I had good sales throughout the day. A few more forum members stopped by to say hi.

Bill/Ponderit

3iieu4eitths.jpg

Bob/Watersport and his friend Dave

b0y8klkbtd9s.jpg

Brian/Wabbit2313

e2g87r3zf31p.jpg

And Mel

qypi3kvkksms.jpg

At 1:30, I headed over to the Fly-In Club meeting. Chris Pilliod gave a fascinating presentation on the various Indian cent errors he's collected over the years. He really had some amazing errors, including a rare triple struck Indian cent and this very rare V nickle struck on an Indian cent planchet.

rqua1w79g9zb.jpg

byv4sr3zcy0b.jpg

npo3bcfx58a8.jpg

gujaaf55ih9e.jpg

After the meeting before I went back to my table, I took a few pictures around the bourse floor. These are the very busy and hard working folks at the PCGS table

83ijwpbxdbig.jpg

52yypzaz09cl.jpg

And here's a picture of my bff Cindi

ieunaruimcd0.jpg

Another pic of the bourse at the other end of the room from my table

0pvocxcdcpog.jpg

That night the "Coin Dealers Helping Coin Dealers" group held a reception/meet and greet at Maggiano's.

ffbj5qgta9j2.jpg

It was a really nice gathering of probably over 100 people. They served all kinds of hors d'oiuvres with a cash bar. Rob Oberth works does a great job getting everyone together and managing this group on Facebook. They also gave out a nice souvenir half dollar.

That's Rob on the right

irsuvvfyxdfc.jpg

tgfbwvpxicwg.jpg

dcjn0slku1tu.jpg

6owmslp9ccp0.jpg

Here are photos of the various folks who attended

lrllxzrbtz4x.jpg

3ehej0gvqeyr.jpg

mx30zid6w5um.jpg

rsjnx9m5dyic.jpg

93cjd8m6dpll.jpg

poa6fzbnpo7g.jpg

After the reception, we stayed for dinner at Maggianos

inve42l0r21z.jpg

nhc8hkiadhnl.jpg

They had a special on another of my favorite wines!

if7sgw4k37bb.jpg

Saturday morning I had to get up early for an 8am Women In Numismatics board meeting, followed by our general meeting.

0z08w0shr5id.jpg

We had a really good speaker, Jim Zylstra, who gave a presentation on "bride-price" in primitive money. It was a fascinating talk on a very unusual numismatic topic!

fdjopbiuyqmp.jpg

b6oxo19530sh.jpg

ci9q6z3v6ydf.jpg

96x39t87he4k.jpg

9lkn9hlo0926.jpg

After the meeting, I decided to peruse the educational exhibits. The FUN show is known to have some very competitive and well-crafted exhibits. Here are just a few of the exhibits - I don't know which exhibit one as it wasn't announced until later on Saturday.

0ndly7ma1a2n.jpg

ieka6538kff8.jpg

a9iekkjtfq5o.jpg

rm48c465t7as.jpg

zg3vzvcyy1c8.jpg

t8ynr03pcs5q.jpg

1mxnqmuyj6n2.jpg

p252use44mpc.jpg

g31tfrlwda4w.jpg

gzjebqlz1evu.jpg

005nmu613ozn.jpg

9kjrfsvazfvy.jpg

b73e2w8bp6kc.jpg

This is Paul working the NCS table

0n7zfthfubuj.jpg

Even though they were swamped, the folks at the NGC table were very kind to take a few minutes to pose for this photo!

m609vl2w4puk.jpg

And of course here's my bff Cindi working at the ANACS table, along with her co-hort Matt!

8bo44pi1pd7a.jpg

nkvonzwh19e7.jpg

After the doors opened to the public, the bourse filled up nicely, though there were many more folks "just looking" or there to ask questions or get appraisals.

fsua2cnz1ne7.jpg

Soon it was time, once again, to pack up everything and start my long trek back home. Knowing there was a huge snow storm hitting most of the mid and eastern U.S., I was a little worried about delays and flight cancellations. I was returning through Chicago and I had faith that Chicago knew how to handle tough weather. Even though my flight out of Orlando was delayed, it took off in time to get me to Chicago for my connection to Orange County. Bye-bye warm sunny Orlando, for now!

qw6m8w5kxfwq.jpg

ewmeb2auhlkg.jpg

However, when we arrived in Chicago, it was still a bit of a nail-biter because we were stuck on the tarmac waiting for the plane at our gate to get de-iced before it could take off.

wqm9tco35cmu.jpg

69ewu69bsg8l.jpg

I had only 20 minutes to make it from the C terminal to my gate at the B terminal and I had to lug my heavy bags with him as I hurried to my gate - I was one of the last people to board my flight! But I need not have worried because we were stuck at our gate for quite a while before we took off because our plane had to be de-iced, and several planes ahead of us getting ready to take off also had to be de-iced.

However, I again began to get a little concerned about my flight because the John Wayne Airport has a curfew and if an incoming flight gets there past 11pm, they are diverted to LAX which is over an hour away from my home (whereas John Wayne is only 10 minutes away). But even with all the delays, our flight crew managed to make up time and landed at John Wayne at 10:30pm! YAY!

My hubby was out of town at our place in Lake Havasu when I got home, so I only had my grumpy Siamese kitty Sierra (who ignores me) and sweet Penny waiting for me at home! Both were very ho-hum about me arriving home because I was disturbing their rest!

wazlrszfc06g.jpg

h70xcpt3msqf.jpg

Next up, the Long Beach show the end of January!

Always entertaining and enjoyable to read.  For whatever reason the post was taking for-e-ver to load ATS, so I'm glad you put it up both places.  Nasty wine though.  Who can possibly call wine nasty (okay, I know you were quoting someone ;) ).  

Missed you, Charmy, and actually… your long time away had me worried about you.

Still have to wade through your extensive thread-starter, but the opening sentence, alone, tells me all is right in the "penny" world.