• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1903 Indian Head penny

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That is a low value coin, as it's quite worn and also has some environmental damage to its surfaces.

Welcome to the forum.

One thing I have learned from visiting coin shops over the years is that the business seems to attract owners (guys) with certain antisocial tendencies. Rolling ones eyes at a potential customer, no matter what coin they are showing you, is not a particularly good way to keep that customer coming back to your store.

Something you need to remember, though, is that, to the average coin dealer, common coins like wheat cents, buffalo nickels, and even Indian cents are coins that they have seen and handled by the sackful, and it takes a pretty special one to get their attention. To you, of course, it is a coin that is never encountered in circulation, and is over one hundred years old, to boot. And, even though it is worn and damaged, that, I imagine, makes it pretty special in your eyes. Keep it and enjoy it for what it is: an interesting bit of history.

(Another thing about some of us old guys: A lot of us did not grow up with cell phones in our hands, and we prefer to see our words spelled out in full)

;)

BJ,    In order to get somewhat of a reasonable answer, you need to spend a minute, perhaps a minute and a half, exploring the website to see if similar coin owners have the same (or similar) coin. Otherwise, learn only a modicum of the discipline required to ask the appropriate questions. It will make your life a lot easier.

R_H_R,

Im really not sure why you feel you are  entitled to tell me or anyone else what they NEED to b doing .obviously I did explore for a while as i was able to post and maybe if u could learn only a modicum of the everyday life skills it takes to try to be informative or helpful Wich by the way u were not.you would see that my question was under newbie questions therefore informing u that I probably would not be up to par with seasoned collectors I am not trying to make a career if this not a hobby I simply had several coins that I would like to know about not be talked to like some ignorant ,              un educated or less than for trying to gain knowledge.if u were to come to one of my stove or kitchen ware forums and some one spoke to u in that way they would have been disciplined accordingly.so thank you,you errogant jerk but i will ask about the rest of the coins some where else !!

2 hours ago, R_R_H said:

BJ,    In order to get somewhat of a reasonable answer, you need to spend a minute, perhaps a minute and a half, exploring the website to see if similar coin owners have the same (or similar) coin. Otherwise, learn only a modicum of the discipline required to ask the appropriate questions. It will make your life a lot easier.

Extremely rude.  Perhaps you could do the same?  The board has gotten along just fine without you feeling the need to police it.  

2 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Extremely rude.  Perhaps you could do the same?  The board has gotten along just fine without you feeling the need to police it.  

I could not agree more Morpheus. This is not a place to be rude and/or unhelpful. 

On 1/14/2019 at 3:47 PM, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum.

One thing I have learned from visiting coin shops over the years is that the business seems to attract owners (guys) with certain antisocial tendencies. Rolling ones eyes at a potential customer, no matter what coin they are showing you, is not a particularly good way to keep that customer coming back to your store.

Something you need to remember, though, is that, to the average coin dealer, common coins like wheat cents, buffalo nickels, and even Indian cents are coins that they have seen and handled by the sackful, and it takes a pretty special one to get their attention. To you, of course, it is a coin that is never encountered in circulation, and is over one hundred years old, to boot. And, even though it is worn and damaged, that, I imagine, makes it pretty special in your eyes. Keep it and enjoy it for what it is: an interesting bit of history.

(Another thing about some of us old guys: A lot of us did not grow up with cell phones in our hands, and we prefer to see our words spelled out in full)

;)

All true Bob, all true.  Though about the cell phone abbreviations......I'm 38 and I don't use them.  They drive me nuts.  If any of my students turn in any work with a single cell phone abbreviation, it's an instant fail with no makeup assignment.  They are informed of this on day one.  And it still happens.  Everyone else in my department has started doing the same. It seems harsh, yes, but I feel that it imparts an essential skill.....professional, acceptable communication skills.  Can you imagine reviewing a job application, resume or C.V. with I HV or I rly on it?  It'd be an instant fail there too, or at least it should be.  Irritation with this should not be an age thing, it should be universal.