Nice copper 1827 1/3 farthing Malta issue 👀

4 posts in this topic

Very hmmm-looking piece spoiled only by the monarch's sloped forehead, which makes him appear a little too close to our anthropological roots. I commend you all in the UK for arranging to have nicer-looking monarchs in the twentieth century than you did in the nineteenth. No offense, but it was miss after miss on that front, and changing to a queen only helped for a short time with about a fifty-year appearance purgatory. Roughly the same pattern was used in the twentieth--a series of men for the first half or so, one woman for the rest--but with much handsomer material all around.

Since I know the coin is pretty small (you did not bad to get its image blown up so we could see it), I do not think the rim dings/bumps are large enough to notice with the naked eye. Same with the tiny dinky tarnish spots, though the color might change that. I think there is mint luster in protected areas and that's the other box to check for EF.

Edited by JKK
21 minutes ago, JKK said:

Very hmmm-looking piece spoiled only by the monarch's sloped forehead, which makes him appear a little too close to our anthropological roots. I commend you all in the UK for arranging to have nicer-looking monarchs in the twentieth century than you did in the nineteenth. No offense, but it was miss after miss on that front, and changing to a queen only helped for a short time with about a fifty-year appearance purgatory. Roughly the same pattern was used in the twentieth--a series of men for the first half or so, one woman for the rest--but with much handsomer material all around.

Since I know the coin is pretty small (you did not bad to get it's image blown up so we could see it), I do not think the rim dings/bumps are large enough to notice with the naked eye. Same with the tiny dinky tarnish spots, though the color might change that. I think there is mint luster in protected areas and that's the other box to check for EF.

Very Witty JKK I like your style 😎.

EF would be nice 👍

The obverse looks AU, the reverse looks EF, but the rim dings might prevent the TPGs from giving it a grade. Good looking coin, though.

I think I would address the issue of the verdigris in the crevices, though. That stuff can ruin copper if left alone for too long.