• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this caused by retouching design elements?

8 posts in this topic

Hey folks. I hope you all had a great holiday season and have brought the new year in with a bang. I did manage to stay awake until after midnight so that was nice. Onto coinage related stuff then...

I have 2-1943 Steelies with the same maladies on the back of the head. And then I have this one that I've attached an entire buttload of photos because whatever is causing the issue on the head is all over plus there are 3-5 lines curving around the inner edge of the obverse. I think the marks on the edges of the design are caused by the Retouching of Design Elements, as was common, I gather, during the 1940's. Those lines around the inner edge though really have me stumped. Idt the coin is in bad enough shape to have been run through a counting machine, but I really don't know. I also have a WV State Park Quarter with similar marks around it too. Any input is most appreciated.

I guess we'll have to do this the hard way cause it won't let me upload many of my shots. I will try to get some into the comments as well. They really need to change that feature. If I share 2 of the same then I am sorry. Thanks y'all!!!

It won't let me share ANY of my good shots! Hopefully there is enough here to make a determination from. Grrrrr....Spoon! Spoon! Spoon! Spoon! Spoon!

0109192235a-1.jpg

0109192236b-1.jpg

0109192250a-1.jpg

The lines around the devices are from die wear. Same as the usual shelf looking lines that others misinterpret for double dies. The lines in the field are probably caused from a die cleaning that scratched the die at some time.

On 1/10/2019 at 5:42 PM, Just Bob said:

Is there any way that you can post a picture of the edge of the coin?

I will. I don't think it is replated though.

Rick, what would they be on my Harper's Ferry Quarter? Idt they are counting marks because I've had it since it was pretty new, but I suppose it coulda been thrown into a counter the 1st day.