• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High roller buyers

16 posts in this topic

I know there are a few big ticket coin buyers here and as a collector who does not fall into that category I was curious about the logistics of participating in big ticket auctions.

For example, if you’ve got a $500k budget for this week’s Heritage auctions at FUN, how do you participate? I assume you can’t just show up and raise your hand to bid at that scale. How do those buyers prove they have the means to make such bids? Some kind of Heritage Auction escrow? Armored truck and a suitcase full of $100’s? 

Peripheral to the above scale, what would be your limit to doing a cash deal? I get squirrelly doing transactions of a few thousand. I suppose that would be relative to the person, how well they know the seller, the venue, surveillance,  and armaments.

5 minutes ago, Matt_dac said:

Peripheral to the above scale, what would be your limit to doing a cash deal? I get squirrelly doing transactions of a few thousand. I suppose that would be relative to the person, how well they know the seller, the venue, surveillance,  and armaments.

I would think this would depend on the nature of the deal / who you're dealing with for most people. I'm very unlikely to ever go around with more than a grand in cash on me, even to a coin show or something similar. I just don't like having that much cash on my person. But since I do most of my buying online, few of my transactions are ever in cash. I wish I had more time to go to shops and shows but I'm busy being a dad. When the kids are older I'll get back to that.

23 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I would think this would depend on the nature of the deal / who you're dealing with for most people. I'm very unlikely to ever go around with more than a grand in cash on me, even to a coin show or something similar. I just don't like having that much cash on my person. But since I do most of my buying online, few of my transactions are ever in cash. I wish I had more time to go to shops and shows but I'm busy being a dad. When the kids are older I'll get back to that.

I’m the same, I don’t like carrying that much.

10 minutes ago, Matt_dac said:

Do you know what is required of buyers to prove they have the funds? 

It likely varies, depending upon the requested bidding limit. But either client services could walk you through it (by phone) or, if you’re at the show, someone in the lot viewing room could assist.

10 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

It likely varies, depending upon the requested bidding limit. But either client services could walk you through it (by phone) or, if you’re at the show, someone in the lot viewing room could assist.

My question was purely curiosity about how that world works. Sadly I will not be carrying a suitcase at the FUN show nor do I have 1/2M to buy 😄

1 hour ago, Matt_dac said:

My question was purely curiosity about how that world works. Sadly I will not be carrying a suitcase at the FUN show nor do I have 1/2M to buy 😄

Welcome to the club, Matt!

Good thing is that even with limited funds, we can still build nice, but smaller collections of beautiful coins.

2 hours ago, Matt_dac said:

Very sorry to hear that! :frown:

:wink:

2 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Very sorry to hear that! :frown:

:wink:

I just thought of a great gag...imagine someone showing up to the show in a suit, sunglasses, an ear piece, and a briefcase chained to their wrist. Pretend to be talking to someone through the communications system. Ha ha ha!

“I’m looking for a secure place to buy 2018 proofs...”

10 hours ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

With Stacks my bank faxed a prepared transfer form and a written confirmation of funds available. It was not over $50,000 and next time I didn't need to.

Thanks

My budget isn't all that large but back when I created a bidding account with them I just had to provide references from several dealers that knew me.  Then for mail/phone bidding (This was before internet bidding) they also had the option of placing a deposit of 25% of your bid total.