• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incuse coinage and the mint

11 posts in this topic

Who would like to see some incuse coinage moderns from the US Mint. I mean, with all the reverse proofs and such, I am thinking an incuse coin would be great again!

I do not know of any US Mint incuse coinage since the early 1900's Indian gold.

ETA: I just realized looking at my Washington Parks quarter collection that all the lettering and the date is incused. How about that? 

1911indian.jpg

What I find interesting is trying to visualize what the dies would have looked like.  I have problems trying to wrap my mind around that.

One of my favorites. Not sure I would want a modern version, however. I haven't seen any designs that I'm crazy about lately.

Would have to be non circulating coin I think. Since we don't make beautiful artistic designs anymore I cannot picture an incuse design where elements would stand up to wear for 20 years or so. Not to many low grade quarter and half Eagles out there to compare is there.

1 hour ago, MorganMan said:

Looks like the Canadians beat us to it. How about that eh?

Incuse maple Leaf

I think I may order 5 or so of these. Seems JMBullion has the best price with free shipping over 100.

I'm not surprised.  Say what you want about the large number of issues that the Royal Canadian Mint puts out yearly, they're a lot more forward-thinking than the US Mint these days.  The RCM at least tries to make innovative and attractive issues......I don't think the same can really be said of the US Mint these days.....very hit and miss, but mostly miss.

8 hours ago, MorganMan said:

Looks like the Canadians beat us to it. How about that eh?

Incuse maple Leaf

Can't tell from the image, is it actually incuse or is is sunken relief as the indian head quarter and half eagles are?

17 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I'm not surprised.  Say what you want about the large number of issues that the Royal Canadian Mint puts out yearly, they're a lot more forward-thinking than the US Mint these days.  The RCM at least tries to make innovative and attractive issues......I don't think the same can really be said of the US Mint these days.....very hit and miss, but mostly miss.

Completely agree with you.