• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reporting gassed holders

17 posts in this topic

Gassed holders? Does someone drill a hole, then nozzle in some gas in an attempt at artificial toning? I'd assume the gas is a sulfur compound, probably one of the standard ones?

The holders aren't impervious to gasses, so they (where "they" refers to one particular eBay seller who appears to have been doing this for years) just leave the slab exposed to the gas, possibly under pressure, for a certain amount of time.  No hole necessary.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

Wow. The result looks like what I'd expect if the gas were flatus.

Considering human off-gassing tends to contain at least some H2S it's not completely unreasonable / impossible. lol 

2 hours ago, messydesk said:

The holders aren't impervious to gasses, so they (where "they" refers to one particular eBay seller who appears to have been doing this for years) just leave the slab exposed to the gas, possibly under pressure, for a certain amount of time.  No hole necessary.

I'd agree that "under pressure" would be a big factor on It if you wanted it done in a reasonable period of time. The holders are not air-tite but they're close enough to present a significant barrier to significantly slow down natural diffusion into the space around the coin. Increasing the pressure would also ultimately increase the overall amount of the toning gas that would seep in and impact the coin. I also wouldn't be surprised if they heated the container to further ramp things up.

Certainly not the first time this issue has been discussed, good to hear that NGC will pull the cert.  Unfortunately there are buyers out there not aware enough to check the cert# so odds are that this will sell.  

Along with the pressure issue the ambient temperature is changed also depending on which chemicals in the gas are mixed together...I've said it before, the ANA has the power to create a committee, with the PNG's blessing, Council for Tangible Assets and Coinage Advisory Committee all on board and start CRIMINAL PROSECUTION & FINES towards offenders. In my personal opinion, when our coins are viewed as little pieces of art work each unique in their own right and accepted at the same level...then hopefully the wheels of change will start to turn.....peace 

37 minutes ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I've said it before, the ANA has the power to create a committee, with the PNG's blessing, Council for Tangible Assets and Coinage Advisory Committee all on board and start CRIMINAL PROSECUTION & FINES towards offenders.

Nope. I want nothing to do with private organizations getting to oversee criminal prosecutions. ANA is an industry / hobby association. Same thing for PNG and ICTA... They're not the attorney general or a district attorney and I don't want them acting like it.

2 hours ago, Revenant said:

Nope. I want nothing to do with private organizations getting to oversee criminal prosecutions. ANA is an industry / hobby association. Same thing for PNG and ICTA... They're not the attorney general or a district attorney and I don't want them acting like it.

I respect your comment, so I meant the ANA providing leadership and insight along with the other groups, setting standards and guides to help monitor and expose the abuse. I don't want the ANA prosecuting people in court, let's leave that to the elected appointed persons who should do their jobs... I would love to see them lay the ground work for the Group that will, because our current system won't. ANA has a Federal Charter so the Government recognized them as Expert Legitimate in Numismatics. You have a very valid comment/concern on this subject...thanks