• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

APOLLO 11 ANNIVERSARY COINS

122 posts in this topic

For just the $5 Gold PF coin, I have to get it to NGC on my own. (of course)

For the return it will be:

$22.00  Modern Grading + Scratch Resistance Upgrade
$10.00  Early Releases #378 Label
$  8.50  Mint Packaging Return, Shipping
$10.00  Handling
$24.00  Shipping & Insurance; 1 coin, $1 -  $1,000 value

$74.50  Total

1 hour ago, investinrehabs said:

I've never had a coin graded. What would it cost me to send in the 1 ounce silver Apollo 11's, to have them graded? It seems that it might be well worth it, considering the prices they're getting!

investinrehabs......you'd better do it fast if you're thinking about flipping.  As I said in my previous post, these coins are right on track to having some of the highest mintages of any modern US commemorative issue.  Once they start getting out there in larger numbers (which will likely happen soon), the insanity is going to wear off fast.  Once again, it's the 2014 Baseball coins all over again.

10 hours ago, Mohawk said:

investinrehabs......you'd better do it fast if you're thinking about flipping.  As I said in my previous post, these coins are right on track to having some of the highest mintages of any modern US commemorative issue.  Once they start getting out there in larger numbers (which will likely happen soon), the insanity is going to wear off fast.  Once again, it's the 2014 Baseball coins all over again.

Mohawk, I think I'll pass. That's a ,ot of money just to have it graded. I'll just tuck them away with the others and let my heirs have them! 

Updated sales figures as of Feb 3:

Commemoratives 19CA 2019 APOLLO 11 GOLD PROOF 21949  
Commemoratives 19CB 2019 APOLLO 11 GOLD UNC 9984  
Commemoratives 19CC 2019 APOLLO 11 SILVER PROOF 117361  
Commemoratives 19CD 2019 APOLLO 11 SILVER UNC 43251  
Commemoratives 19CE 2019 APOLLO 11 CLAD PROOF 38309  
Commemoratives 19CF 2019 APOLLO 11 HALF DOLLAR SPECIAL SET 84349  
Commemoratives 19CG 2019 APOLLO 11 CLAD UNC 27365  
Commemoratives 19CH 2019 APOLLO 11 SILVER PROOF 5 OZ 63598  

Mailing my box in the next hour.

Showed up at USPS at closing yesterday and I had used Scotch Heavy Duty clear plastic tape, and you can't do that.

The Registered Mail hand-stamps need to guarantee untampered contents by showing up on all box-to-paper sealed seams.

But the really nice employee gave me a whole roll of the paper tape when I asked if I could borrow it overnight.

Went home, used a hair-drier to get the plastic tape off, and did a complete rewrap of the box with the paper tape.

Box looks great.  (even better than before)

My coin, right now?

Slept last night at the Post Office at JFK International Airport

And right now it is…

Eight miles high
And when you touch down
You'll find that it's stranger than known

Signs in the street
That say where you're going
Are somewhere just being their own

Nowhere is
There warmth to be found
Among those afraid of losing their ground

Rain-gray town
Known for its sound
In places, small faces unbound

Round the squares
Huddled in storms
Some laughing, some just shapeless forms

Sidewalk scenes
And black limousines
Some living, some standing alone

For some reason I am interested to keep up on the sales figures.  Particularly while my coin is still being graded.

The Feb 10 report shows 916 additional gold coins (proof and unc) sold between Feb 3 and Feb 10 (total of 32,849 sold).  I'm so curious if these products will sell out?  I suspect the back order has slowed interest some.

I'm following the sales figures vicariously through you!

My submission to NGC was upgraded to Delivered yesterday.

Hoping, so much, that the grade will be a Proof 70 from NGC.

But even if it comes in at 69, I'll be Ok.

Why?  1969 was a good year for Buzz Aldrin in photos.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:55 AM, Matt_dac said:

I'm waiting to receive the return shipment from NGC but here's mine:

Apollo 11 Gold Case.jpg

Apollo 11 Gold Rev.jpg

That's an amazing coin!

If you look closely, a flying saucer is about to "beam up" Neil Armstrong.

If I were him, I'd be more worried about that than seeing if anyone had texted me on my cell phone.

lol  (:  ;)  :wink:  xD  :roflmao:  :bigsmile:  :whistle:  :preach:  -_-  :S  (tsk)  :facepalm:

9 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Gotta love it, 95% of those submitted are 70's.  69's are going to be rare. :)

I learned ATS that large volume dealers can submit with instructions not to grade/encapsulate if they are not 70's, making the actual number of 69's much higher.

I wonder if those dealers share that with prospective buyers of the returned raw 69 coins? 

It looks like my $5 Gold Proof will get graded tomorrow, as I followed the submission process on Friday, and the status had changed to scheduled for grading.

Got the US Mint packaging back from NGC on Saturday morning.

So, the moment of truth approaches.

Both Matt_dac and I placed our orders at the same time with the US Mint, but I waited to submit to NGC.  (5 days for NGC order forms to arrive via USPS)

Although it seems like it's been an eternity, our gradings at NGC are only a week apart.

Hope the graders haven't gotten tired of seeing PF 70 Ultra Cameos, but a Monday grade suggests they'll be "refreshed" from the weekend break.

My, how times flies.  A week from today and we'll be back on DST.

Just spoke with Customer Service.  My $5 Gold is "done."  The grade is…

… still don't know.  That is revealed when the coin gets to shipping.

Shipping is waiting to combine two services:  the $5 coin and 3 other coins I submitted for reholdering.

The reholdering coins bogged down when I called to make sure NGC would inspect/remove a fiber off the surface of one coin in one of those holders.

Since everything will ship together, things are mostly at a standstill, now.

I asked when the reholdering coins would be done, and was told that that will be by the end of next week.

So, I expect to get my coins back sometime in April… maybe April Fools' Day.

That might be a double bonus for me.  On April Fools' Day I have a telephone appointment scheduled with Social Security:

The beginning of my venture into monthly checks for the rest of my life.

OK, my $5 Gold coin graded PF 70 Ultra Cameo.

Apparently, they send a confirming email when the shipment ships.

Since I have other coins shipping, from a separate filled-out form, but everything to ship together, I haven't gotten the email that confirms, and so I can't look at my coin on line since I don't know its verification number.

So I wait…  but the hard part is over.  The coin made the grade.  But it's the least of my worries… because it's

… a horrible day on the stock market.  Brutal!

6 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The verification number should be the invoice number - and then the line number on the invoice.

Thanks…

Put the numbers in and saw the images.

I'd post pics but that would involve taking iPhone pics of the screen (NGC's verification images are copyright protected, so they can't be copied with just a double tap and Copy command) and that's too much playing around. (my iPhone doesn't even have a "plan" right now, use it just as a camera, and the battery dies rapidly)

Wish they had rotated the coin "just a touch" counterclockwise for perfect alignment — to bring the two side moon-phases, date, and IN GOD WE TRUST squared up better with horizontal-level — but my order completion has involved me making NGC jump through hoops addressing another coin they had slabbed before, that has a fiber lying on its surface, so inspection by NGC for the fiber (need a loop to clearly see it), removing it, and then doing the reholdering.

Just want the coins back since my Registered Mail receipt of my shipment to NGC shows a date of February 6, 2019… damn, it will be around 50 days, minimum, by the time I have them back in hand again.