• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

APOLLO 11 ANNIVERSARY COINS

122 posts in this topic

At 12:09 pm, last Thursday, my order was confirmed, and maybe someone up there likes me? :cloud9:

At work, years ago, there was a Chinese Lab Tech, and he would always refer to me, with a slight Chinese accent, as Special.  That was his name for me!  lol

He was funny.  We had a fire alarm trip one day, and he went running outside with his hands clasped behind his head, elbows sticking way out.

My other friend with me, we looked at each other, and wondered what was up with that?

I miss the Chinese guy.  He was very kind, and suffered terrible verbal abuse from his American female boss, sometimes.

She wasn't all that bad, but she went too far at times, and he would pace around after she had left the scene, considering resigning.

The rest of us would console him, get him back to normal, but you'd see that his eyes had welled up.

I have been having an issue on getting into my mint account, but i finally got in on Sunday. I ordered one of each of the dollars and half-dollars as well as one of the 2 coin sets. I did not order the 5oz coin. No problems with the order and today i was notified that all have been shipped.

Sell out has not happened yet. 

Ordered on 1/27/19 received 1/31/19.

Unbelievably fast and the coins are beautiful! 

Edited by DrRich67
Update

9 hours ago, Just Bob said:

On my phone, there is nothing below your avatar.

I don't have a cell phone, so I wouldn't know.  But on my computer I can see you're from Mississippi.

Finally unboxed the coin, this morning.

Nice inner packaging.  Slide-sideways, both sides open-ended, blue-sleeve, blue-box's top lifts off and the printed card is on top of the coin's black-velvet with golden-metallic-trim coin-case.

Open the velvet case and there is the gold coin, inside an Air Tite, which is recessed in the velvet-case mount.

Very perfect looking.

But I don't like that if you were to shake the whole thing like a baby's rattle, you would wear down Neil's helmet-visor over time on the inside-top of the Air Tite.

That's Neil's helmet-visor, not Buzz's.

So, this will gladly be sent to NGC for holdering, to prevent that wearing down eventuality.

The only drawback to the coin is that when you look at the obverse, you cannot escape seeing your reflection mirrored back at you, from somewhere on the coin.

This is due to the coin's curvature, and the fields of Buzz's smooth helmet visor, and the surface-shadows on The Moon from the people and things that landed.

This is the first proof coin I've ever seen and it is the shiniest gold thing I've ever seen.  No question about that.  Glistens at times, depending on how I angle it.

Especially the back footprint!  OMG!

When taking photos with an iPhone (which I don't use for anything but photos; no subscription plan) the shadows on The Moon reflect the iPhone's black case (and the reverse footprint reflects it, too), and so they do have the black appearance seen in the U.S. Mint's proof photos, as a function of angling things when taking photos.

Best,

Bob

One thing I don't get (understand) is that in all the literature on this coin, the Obverse side is the footprint, and the Reverse side is the "Buzz Aldrin on the Moon" close up.

When it was received the "Buzz Aldrin on the Moon" side was face up, meaning that the Mint shipped the coin upside-down with the Reverse-side facing up.

When this coin is holdered by NGC, will they have the "footprint" side facing up?

5 hours ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Finally unboxed the coin, this morning.

Nice inner packaging.  Slide-sideways, both sides open-ended, blue-sleeve, blue-box's top lifts off and the printed card is on top of the coin's black-velvet with golden-metallic-trim coin-case.

Open the velvet case and there is the gold coin, inside an Air Tite, which is recessed in the velvet-case mount.

Very perfect looking.

But I don't like that if you were to shake the whole thing like a baby's rattle, you would wear down Neil's helmet-visor over time on the inside-top of the Air Tite.

So, this will gladly be sent to NGC for holdering, to prevent that wearing down eventuality.

The only drawback to the coin is that when you look at the obverse, you cannot escape seeing your reflection mirrored back at you, from somewhere on the coin.

This is due to the coin's curvature, and the fields of Buzz's smooth helmet visor, and the surface-shadows on The Moon from the people and things that landed.

This is the first proof coin I've ever seen and it is the shiniest gold thing I've ever seen.  No question about that.  Glistens at times, depending on how I angle it.

Especially the back footprint!  OMG!

When taking photos with an iPhone (which I don't use for anything but photos; no subscription plan) the shadows on The Moon reflect the iPhone's black case (and the reverse footprint reflects it, too), and so they do have the black appearance seen in the U.S. Mint's proof photos, as a function of angling things when taking photos.

Best,

Bob

When do we get to see the pics? :smile:

My computer crashes when I attach pics from my MacBook Pro's Photos folder.

Last week, I thought I could drag and drop a photo into the attachments window on this very site.

Had the worst crash ever.

Took me 5 hours of trial and error combination keystroke ideas to finally get it to boot up.

Maybe I'll get one up, but I'm just asking for trouble if I do.

I don't even browse my photos much, anymore.  And all my coin photos are in the Photos folder.

1 hour ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

My computer crashes when I attach pics from my MacBook Pro's Photos folder.

Last week, I thought I could drag and drop a photo into the attachments window on this very site.

Had the worst crash ever.

Took me 5 hours of trial and error combination keystroke ideas to finally get it to boot up.

Maybe I'll get one up, but I'm just asking for trouble if I do.

I don't even browse my photos much, anymore.  And all my coin photos are in the Photos folder.

I'd send you guys pics, but the fricking coins just shipped yesterday! I must have been on their "bad boys" list...... because I ordered them the first day! 

12 hours ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

According to Smithsonian Air and Space Museum that's Buzz Aldrin's visor.

AS11-40-5903_640.jpg?itok=lX3vFd4N

This photograph was taken during Apollo 11, the first manned mission to land on the Moon. The photograph shows lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin standing on the lunar surface.  Apollo 11 commander Neil Armstrong, who took the photograph, and the lunar lander can be seen reflected in Aldrin's visor.  This image is one of the most popular photographs taken during the Apollo program.

6 hours ago, Conder101 said:

According to Smithsonian Air and Space Museum that's Buzz Aldrin's visor.

AS11-40-5903_640.jpg?itok=lX3vFd4N

This photograph was taken during Apollo 11, the first manned mission to land on the Moon. The photograph shows lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin standing on the lunar surface.  Apollo 11 commander Neil Armstrong, who took the photograph, and the lunar lander can be seen reflected in Aldrin's visor.  This image is one of the most popular photographs taken during the Apollo program.

Yes.  And you see that little white figure in the middle of Buzz Aldrin's visor, the head of that little figure, the front (a little imagination required here) visor of that little figure?

That's the part that is the center of the Reverse of the coin, and that taps the top of the Air Tite.

Joined the NGC Associate level ($25) yesterday, and since I don't have a printer, they're mailing me forms for Coin Submittals.

This coin will come under a separate Grading Tier, all its own:

Modern ($17), Early Releases label ($10), Scratch Resistance coating ($5), Return US Gov Mint Packaging ($5).

I have to send all of the US Gov Mint inner packaging, and a photocopy of its Invoice (will suffice), so that NGC can verify the coin's Proof ordering status, and satisfy anything else that concerns them.

The 3 other coins I'm submitting will all be inexpensive Reholdering ($10/each), for $30 total.

Then add my costs (postage, insurance) to ship to NGC and their costs (S&H, insurance) to ship back to me.

About covers it.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:24 PM, Just Bob said:

When do we get to see the pics? :smile:

I'd like to send pics, but just today, thawing downstairs and basement toilets, away from my computer for 20-minutes.

When I came back, the screen was dark.  Couldn't even turn it off, then when it finally was off, I turned it on and the Green Apple showed up, and then it took 2 hours to troubleshoot.

I'm writing down what I do when I troubleshoot, but it still is hit or miss.

So, no pics to send yet.

Are you guys getting your coins yet?

On 1/19/2019 at 12:42 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

I chatted with the Mint website yesterday… price of the gold coin will be revealed at noon next Thursday.

But, knowing its composition and mass:  90% Au, 6% Ag, and 4% Cu; total mass = 8.359-grams.  Gold content = 7.52-grams.

That then puts things at 7.52/28.35 = 0.2654-oz Au x $1,292/oz. = $343.  So, figure around $400 — $500 dollars per coin.

I figure it will come in just north of $500 after submittal to NGC.

If you are allowed to order more than one coin, and you would want to compare two, to then send the best one off for grading, the way to do it is make two separate orders to the Mint, to receive two separate packages.  Then, the coin you deem as inferior you can send back to the Mint, and I think you have up to one month to make your return.

For returns to the Mint, they only accept total returns, and not partial returns.  So, if you had ordered two coins together, one shipment/package, you cannot keep one and return the other.

The “total” return you described is not accurate.  You can return individual coins or individual sets in a multiple item shipment.

What you can’t do is regarding a multiple coin “set” (for example one coin from a three coin set such as the 2006 Silver American Eagle 20th anniversary set) such that you cannot return a single coin...you have to return the entire set.

Hope this clarifies the return process...I’ve done this exact type of return on several occasions when I received damaged or defective coins.

Edited by valk1999

One other thing...I believe you can ask NGC to label the slab in either orientation. If you want the footprint to be on the face side of the label I think this is possible.  Call and ask to confirm and they will instruct you what you need to do.

good luck...

7 minutes ago, valk1999 said:

One other thing...I believe you can ask NGC to label the slab in either orientation. If you want the footprint to be on the face side of the label I think this is possible.  Call and ask to confirm and they will instruct you what you need to do.

good luck...

Yes, this is so, or at least it was a few years ago.  I've had some coins with birds on them slabbed reverse side up over the years.  I imagine that NGC would be able to accommodate you with your Apollo coins.

Until the printed forms arrive from NGC, for me to fill out, I'm pondering what side to have face up.

The Mint defines the Obverse as the "footprint."

I have the Life Magazine with Buzz's autograph on the front, which is the same iconic photo that the Mint used for the Reverse.

So, that is the "tug" for me… to go with the Reverse face up, to match the magazine's "front."

But, the coin is curved, and the front always is showing you a "selfie" of yourself when you look at Buzz's helmet.  I'm not into selfies.

Then, too, there is the underlying symbolism of the footprint… a footprint on the moon… an incredible achievement… more so than the "daring' of men who put the footprints on the Moon.

Btw, that is Buzz's footprint, that the artist recreated.

image.png.328543f4e0b2918b7b84dd702dbad12f.pngimage.png.e500283d2ed208a7689d050681eb6ae7.png 

See the "break" in the front of the boot, and the "alley" on the left.

Admittedly, they both would have had similar boots, but I'm pretty sure Neil took the photo of Buzz's bootprint, and not of his own bootprint.

The markup games have begun....there are a few Ebay sellers advertising at cost but the highest markup I found is a First Day of Issue PF70 $5 gold (presale) of $995 OBO. 

As we know the 'First Day of Issue' label is reserved only for those making a bulk submission for grading, even though 15K+ people bought the same coin at the same time (on the first day). 

Wow...

43 minutes ago, Matt_dac said:

The markup games have begun....there are a few Ebay sellers advertising at cost but the highest markup I found is a First Day of Issue PF70 $5 gold (presale) of $995 OBO. 

As we know the 'First Day of Issue' label is reserved only for those making a bulk submission for grading, even though 15K+ people bought the same coin at the same time (on the first day). 

Wow...

Matt, can you believe that? I think people are going to be VERY sorry that they bought the graded coins. I could be wrong, but the mint isn't even sold out yet of the silver 1 ounce. It's  going as high as $200 graded (70). Idk, it'll be very interesting to see where the prices go on these. I might send mine in for grading!! 

BTW, did anyone else notice that the 1 ounce silver COA doesn't mention the purity of the silver? I thought that was odd. 

3 hours ago, investinrehabs said:

Matt, can you believe that? I think people are going to be VERY sorry that they bought the graded coins. I could be wrong, but the mint isn't even sold out yet of the silver 1 ounce. It's  going as high as $200 graded (70). Idk, it'll be very interesting to see where the prices go on these. I might send mine in for grading!! 

BTW, did anyone else notice that the 1 ounce silver COA doesn't mention the purity of the silver? I thought that was odd. 

No! I sent my gold proof for grading. I agree those buying graded will pay a hefty premium, at least for quite a while.

I have not seen sales figures since the first day sales report. Half the gold was sold that first day.

3 hours ago, investinrehabs said:

Those buying graded examples of these issues at prices like that are going to be very sorry.  As I thought, this is turning into the 2014 Baseball coins all over again, and look where those are now.  It's the same thing all over again.  The Apollo coins are on track to having some of the highest mintages in the US modern commemorative series......not good for their long term prospects. 

After getting my coins i thought about getting them certified. After going through the form it looks like it will cost me almost $300. The coins only cost $215. I think i will forgo certification. 

52 minutes ago, DrRich67 said:

After getting my coins i thought about getting them certified. After going through the form it looks like it will cost me almost $300. The coins only cost $215. I think i will forgo certification. 

I've never had a coin graded. What would it cost me to send in the 1 ounce silver Apollo 11's, to have them graded? It seems that it might be well worth it, considering the prices they're getting!

16 minutes ago, investinrehabs said:

I've never had a coin graded. What would it cost me to send in the 1 ounce silver Apollo 11's, to have them graded? It seems that it might be well worth it, considering the prices they're getting!

Cost varies, $18+ for the initial grading, $5 for the extra thick holder $ for shipping back $ for the label, (i don't have the form with me). Add your costs to ship & insure, and btw you can't send in one coin, you have to send at least 5 coins. There may be other charges that i don't recall as i said, i don't have the form with me. All of this is available when you join the collectors society.