• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

APOLLO 11 ANNIVERSARY COINS

122 posts in this topic

It's not unusual for the Mint to confuse even itself. The Flyer mailed out on the 2019 Apollo Series pictures the 19CF 2 coin half-dollar set with a "Dollar" alongside the JFK Enhanced Reverse Proof . The Flyer lists descriptions, weight, Dimensions on all but the 2 coin Half Set. I'm curious though as to how all these Coins match up exactly as far as the curved coins go, with the Baseball Hall of Fame curved Coins, when the Metal Composition is totally different ??? Going from 90% Silver to 99.9% should make a difference in weight. 

The US Mint never fails to dismay avid collectors.

$418.75 - $339.90 = $78.85 above today's melt. (not including the value of the Ag and Cu)

Then, there will be S&H, too.  Maybe even sales tax.  Insurance? (don't know)

It's gotta come in around $450 just to get to your front door.

The next big question, for me, will be First Releases or Early Releases?

Early Releases has a sort of onomatopoeia suggestion to it, which I like.

34 minutes and counting, and everything is A O K (In Like Flint)

WOWie… Z.O.W.I.E. !

21 minutes ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

$418.75 - $339.90 = $78.85 above today's melt. (not including the value of the Ag and Cu)

Then, there will be S&H, too.  Maybe even sales tax.  Insurance? (don't know)

It's gotta come in around $450 just to get to your front door.

The next big question, for me, will be First Releases or Early Releases?

Early Releases has a sort of onomatopoeia suggestion to it, which I like.

34 minutes and counting, and everything is A O K (In Like Flint)

WOWie… Z.O.W.I.E. !

I have never associated "First" or "Early" release as having any value of any kind.  You have to pay an additional $10 in the grading to get these labels as well.  I'm not aware of this having any real market value but I seldom buy modern and could be mistaken. 

Edited by Matt_dac

24 minutes ago, Matt_dac said:

I have never associated "First" or "Early" release as having any value of any kind.  You have to pay an additional $10 in the grading to get these labels as well.  I'm not aware of this having any real market value but I seldom buy modern and could be mistaken. 

So what?

Do you ever buy name brand potato chips? Like Lays?  That's a mark up, to make you feel better. (I buy them all the time.)

Got my coin.  $423.70, all in, from the US Mint.

Glitchy site, got an oops message that something went wrong, and then like a fool I forgot to have my Credit Card on me when I got back on, to complete the transaction. (had to run upstairs to get it, to then enter a few details, like security code)

But done, and I can relax, now.

1 minute ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

So what?

Do you ever buy name brand potato chips? Like Lays?  That's a mark up, to make you feel better. (I buy them all the time.)

Got my coin.  $423.70, all in, from the US Mint.

Glitchy site, got an oops message that something went wrong, and then like a fool I forgot to have my Credit Card on me when I got back on, to complete the transaction. (had to run upstairs to get it, to then enter a few details, like security code)

But done, and I can relax, now.

You seem offended, I'm just pointing out my observation.  Have you found First or Early command higher premiums in the market for moderns?

No.  I'm fine.

Didn't know there's a $10 mark up… but $10 is nothing.

You want to always "like" everything you see when you look at the slab.

Early Release will remind me of the struggle, hope, desperation, and satisfaction… in acquiring the coin.

2 minutes ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

No.  I'm fine.

Didn't know there's a $10 mark up… but $10 is nothing.

You want to always "like" everything you see when you look at the slab.

Early Release will remind me of the struggle, hope, desperation, and satisfaction… in acquiring the coin.

Well very good then.  We'll have to compare notes once we get them back from NGC to see if we got PF69 or PF70 coins. 

Yes… definitely compare notes, and hoping for PF70 for both of us.

My submission to NGC will take a lot longer because I have some other things to take care of, like reholderings, and see if an NCS/NGC for one coin can ship with everything.

21 minutes ago, Matt_dac said:

You seem offended, I'm just pointing out my observation.  Have you found First or Early command higher premiums in the market for moderns?

No.  This will be my first modern and I'll never sell it.

I'm not into my coins for profit.  Just into them as heirloom items.

The most apt description of my collection is:

"It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key."  ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Even for me to glimpse my coin collection involves trial and error, toil and trouble.

When I finally do get to see it, in person, it is richly deserved.

And seeing the photos I have of my coins usually results in the Green Apple of Doom on my MacBook Pro!

lol :roflmao: (: :juggle: hm :frown: :cry: o.O :whatthe: :o :fear:

Got the confirmation email.

Here are a few little known facts about the Apollo XI Moon Landing.

Neil was the first to place his foot on the Moon, but botched his line, saying, "That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind."

It was suppose to have been, "That's one small step for a man; one giant leap for mankind."  Maybe the transmission was garbled; don't know.

And… ever notice that all the photos of the first men on the Moon are of Buzz Aldrin.

That's because Neil had the camera.  (Maybe Buzz's revenge for being "second.")

It is funny, too, that Buzz Aldrin, just because of that nickname "Buzz," may eventually be more remembered than Neil.

Buzz Lightyear didn't hurt, either.  lol

Michael Collins, the Command Module Pilot, at one point in time, was The Loneliest Man Ever in the history of the human race.

Buzz famously said "Neil and I landed on the Moon at precisely the same instant". 

Regarding Michael Collins, one of the quotes from his book (excellent btw) describing his experience was "although I have no intention of spending the rest of my life looking backward, I do have this secret, this precious thing, that I will always carry with me".  

Impressive sales figures for the first day:

>Here’s a breakdown of the Apollo 11 products and their first-day sales:

Individual Sales Realized ($) Total Sold Mintage Limit % of Limit Sold
2019-W Proof $5 Gold Coin 15,544 $6,509,050.00 23,325 50,000 46.7%
2019-W Uncirculated $5 Gold Coin 7,781 $3,180,483.75
2019-P Proof Silver Dollar 86,073 $4,729,711.35 121,453 400,000 30.4%
2019-P Uncirculated Silver Dollar 35,380 $1,837,991.00
2019-S Proof Clad Half Dollar 29,560 $826,202.00 100,262 750,000 13.4%
2019-D Uncirculated Clad Half Dollar 20,877 $541,758.15
2019-S Proof Half Dollar Set* 49,825 $2,688,058.75
2019-P Proof $1 Five Ounce Silver Coin 51,271 $11,533,411.45 51,271 100,000 51.3%
Combined Totals $31,846,666.45 296,611  

That is an impressive table!

It is interesting what constitutes a proof gold coin and an uncirculated gold coin.

The only difference, other than $10 more for the proofs, is that the proofs were ordered in the first 3 hours of sale, after the noon start.

In my childish mind, I imagine the Mint manufacturing them and placing them in their Air-Tites and little display boxes as quickly as possible, and they keep punching out the coins, and then suddenly 3:00pm rolls around, and they say, "That's it, no more proofs.  The dies are slightly worn now, and from here on they're all slightly less than proofs, so we'll just call them 'uncirculated'."

And maybe there is some truth to this, perhaps learned from experience, an understanding of die wear… or maybe it is just marketing, and the "after 3:00pm" coins get a different display box descriptor.

However, my mind really isn't childish, and, well, I haven't a clue as to the difference, if any, in quality between the proof and the uncirculated coins.

So, going over some franklin half's to send in, 1963-D has a bold doubling United States Of America and what appears to be a RPM on the D.

I find nowhere where its listed as a  variety on NGC or at PCGS. so what to do next??

30 minutes ago, utah_ranch said:

So, going over some franklin half's to send in, 1963-D has a bold doubling United States Of America and what appears to be a RPM on the D.

I find nowhere where its listed as a  variety on NGC or at PCGS. so what to do next??

I'd recommend posting photos here.  The fact that you have doubling on both the lettering and the mint mark makes me strongly suspect that your coin is not a doubled die nor an RPM.  Rather, it sounds like you have a coin with machine doubling on your hands, which adds no value to the coin.  Posting some photos here could save you a grading fee :)

1 hour ago, Matt_dac said:

Wrong thread gentlemen.

So true.  I apologize.  When I said "here" I meant the boards in general, not this specific thread.  I should have been more specific.

Memphis, TN  >>  Roanoke, VA >> Laurel, MD >> Lawnside, NJ >> Parssipany, NJ  >> Out for Delivery

Sat all weekend,       ^^^^^  yesterday  ^^^^^,             ^^^^^  after midnight  ^^^^^       8:11am Departure Scan

Worked at the Parssipany, NJ UPS unloading trucks, back around 1978… maybe a month, so broke I had to hitchhike to get there sometimes. (if I couldn't get a friend to drive me there)

Getting there became impossible, unreliable, and finally found other work within a mile of my shared apartment with my older brother:  Cleaning oil burners.

Bought a chemistry book and a calculator, curious about the oil/air combustion.  Small company was bought out, I was let go, grandfather had a stroke, moved in to help my grandmother manage.

Collected unemployment while living for free.  With saved money, went out to Arizona, re-invented myself, and became a Chemical Engineer.  This move to AZ made my life come alive.

Graduated, came back to NJ, got a job, worked hard, traveled and saw the world over, on the company's dime.  Late in my career (very late) bought a Carson City AU53 Eagle.

Retired now… and waiting for the UPS delivery truck.  You never know what Life has in store; it picks you, not the other way around.

Gold coin just arrived, a few minutes before 4:00pm.

Will open it later, but it is so nice to have.

This will be my first proof coin, and actually the first proof coin I have ever seen.

And gold, even. Woot!  Woot!  Woot!  Woot!!!!