• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 "S" Eagle and confusion!

6 posts in this topic

I'm a newbie and I'm sure this post will convince you of that! I thought the 2017 BU's and also the proofs, both had the "S" mint mark. I'm seeing MS69 eagles going for a low cost and they don't have the "S"  mint mark. The sellers are claiming they were made in San Francisco. Can someone please explain this to me? Thank you in advance.

BU's do not have a mint mark unless it is burnished, in which case it will have a "W" mint mark.  

As for the proofs, the only proofs with the "S" mint mark from 2017 came in either the Congratulations Set or the Limited Edition Silver proof set.  Regular proofs from 2017 should have the "W" mint mark.

Morpheus,

Thanks for the explanation. I should have known that! In your opinion, do you think it's worth it to buy a lot of the 2019 Congratulations sets? Everything I'm seeing right now, shows that all the Eagles for 2019 will have the W mark. So it looks like to me, they're not worth buying and trying to sell for a premium, like people did for 2018. What's your thoughts? 

In my opinion, it is not worth buying a lot of them.  The only reason the 2017 has such a high premium is because it is the first time the proof eagle has had the "S" mint mark, and because of the limited number available.  I think it was 75k of the Congratulations sets and 50k of the Limited Edition proof sets.  I have no idea why the 2018 would be selling at any sort of premium.  

i agree. I don't see any reason for a premium price. I noticed the 2018 Eagle "S" proof is on back order. They've sold about half as many as the "W" proof. Do you think it's worth buying quite a few "S" Eagles when they start shipping them again? But I'm not sure they'll even start making them again and who knows how many more they'll offer for sale. 

Thanks

Bullion coins have been minted at both West Point and San Francisco.  Some of the selling companies believe that they can identify where a coin was struck if they have the shipping code.  So they will note on the coin holder where they believe the coin was struck.  The coins look the same and they do not have an identifying mark.  The proofs and burnished uncirculated coin have a mint mark.