• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's Going to F.U.N. Show? 2019

22 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I'm not going, but I know a couple of vest-pocket dealers who plan to, and I am looking forward to seeing what they bring back.

Bought a beautiful Isabella once from a vest-pocket dealer and he was a great source for coins over the years, he was from N.C.. He once told me some dealers looked down on him but the same ones had his coins in their cases...Ha, Ha!!...anyway, I think their overhead is less than a conventional dealer and in my experience, (which is better for all of us), the ones I've met ALWAYS had time for me. 

46 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Wish I was but much too far from the west coast and too expensive just after the holidays.  Hope everyone that's going finds something interesting.

Understood, I remember when I was younger a trip to F.U.N. was a big deal and cost quite a bit...there was and kinda still is a nostalgic thing about it for me...

Once upon a time I would have never missed this show.

I had so much fun back in the pre-plastic days. You could buy and flip, simply based on a disagreement of grade. It seemed so much easier to make money in the business then.

On 12/28/2018 at 1:16 PM, Just Bob said:

I'm not going, but I know a couple of vest-pocket dealers who plan to, and I am looking forward to seeing what they bring back.

I’m not familiar with that term. Are these like coin show scalpers? ‘Meet me by the soda stand, I have good stuff’, etc?

Ha ha!

2 hours ago, Matt_dac said:

How are they identified at the show?

A typical vest pocket dealer, as I know them:

They don't (usually) have tables. They will be walking the floor with their - well, what was once a briefcase, but is now likely to be a shoulder bag or backpack - full of coins,  making deals with the other dealers. Some will have several reference books and/or the latest copy of Coin Dealer Newsletter, others will work strictly by gut feeling and experience. Many are part-time dealers, who do it as much for the fun of it as for the money. Most are personable and well liked, and are a welcome addition to the show. They don't overstep their bounds by selling to other customers, or monopolize any one dealer's time.

8 hours ago, messydesk said:

I"ll be at table 1124 doing imaging from Thursday afternoon through Saturday.

Great Skill...I hope all goes well for you, I commend you for taking the time to bring out the remarkable colors, original skin and perfect photos we collectors desire of our coins...take care!!!

On 1/4/2019 at 9:06 AM, messydesk said:

I"ll be at table 1124 doing imaging from Thursday afternoon through Saturday.

Pleasure to meet you in person John, I look forward to seeing your work (Saint and Mercs).

Enjoy the rest of the show.

7 hours ago, Matt_dac said:

Pleasure to meet you in person John, I look forward to seeing your work (Saint and Mercs).

Enjoy the rest of the show.

Great to meet you, too!  The show's done for me.  Early morning flight Sunday zzz

On 1/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, Matt_dac said:

I just booked my travel arrangements last night...be there Sat to hopefully find something nice for my collection.

On 12/30/2018 at 9:42 AM, toneddollars said:

Be there Wednesday to Friday 

On 12/29/2018 at 5:18 PM, ldhair said:

I'll be there Wed. thru Sat. I never miss it. 

I am looking forward to reading about and seeing pictures of all of your latest acquisitions. :)

It's just awesome, at least in my case for what I wanted this weekend, to be able to look at many examples of the same coins with the same grade and cherry pick the best.  Shows in my area have maybe 20-40 dealer tables and to see what was advertised as 1500 is just something.  I spent 5 hours at the show Saturday without a break methodically going up and down each side of each row, looking at the coins and grades I had on my list, noting the deals, and then returning to buy the best.  I know there was a risk I would return for my favorite to find it gone, but I also wanted to really get a sense of what was there.  First on my list was a common date MS66 Saint that just made me think "wow - that is stunning" as a type coin.  Second and third was a lower grade 16d and 42/1 Merc.  Lastly I wanted a lower grade (but no details) 1796 Draped Bust large cent.  I looked at many examples and bought the best to my eyes.  I also stopped by the Modern Coin Mart booth and bought the 1-ounze silver with space flown metal 50 year Apollo 11 Robbins restrike (the funky line you see on the right side is a reflection or something on the case - the coin surfaces are awesome). 

The only caveat, and unfortunately this is an issue at every show I've ever been to, is dealers leave early.  The show advertised as running from 10-6 for the general public on Saturday.  A LARGE number of dealers were packing up by 2pm.  Really?  I figured Saturday would be the best day for dealers considering the influx of collectors who had to finish their week of work. 

I'll post pics of the old coins later but the show was very worthwhile.  I ran out of steam considering my 3am alarm and flight from Boston and did not get to check out the exhibits.

Coin Show.jpg

Apollo_11_Silver_Obverse.jpg

One other thing I wanted to mention.  I found a dealer with a huge inventory of Saints including about 10 common date MS66 CAC Green Bean coins.  The inventory was impressive, but I almost laughed when I flipped to look at the price...$4350...but he would be willing to let it go for $4000.  Ha ha ha!

Anyone can ask what they want of course, but MS66 Saints are $2K or less all day long (right now anyway).  I respect there certainly is a premium for CAC, but more like $200-$300 maybe.  I politely told the dealer "100% markup for the Green Bean is a bit high for me considering it's a $2000 coin". 

Hilarious....