• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA PCGS "Coffin" Hardpack for Crossover - any grade

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1887 GSA hardpack that is encased in a plastic coffin holder.  It will not fit in the original GSA black box and that is how I like to store them, which is why I like the NGC certs.

If I send it in I am concerned that if it gets a lower grade than the PCGS one it will be returned in the original PCGS holder and I will have wasted my time and money.  I am pretty sure that PCGS will crossover at "ANY" grade and will slab a coin even if it is lower if requested. Does NGC offer that?  I may be in a minority but on this coin I want a grade regardless but am a little leery of trying to crack the coffin, but maybe that is what I should do. I don't want to damage the GSA holder.

1887 Obsv full.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC will not remove the PCGS outer shell unless it has determined the coin to be of equal or higher grade. The submitter can request a lower minimum grade or to certify at any grade, but the default is to not cross any coins at lower grades without such permission.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Yes, as long as there's no condition on the coin that would prevent NGC from certifying it, and that's unlikely if it's already been graded by PCGS. NGC would remove the outer slab and just apply a grading strip directly onto the original GSA plastic case.