• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof queen 1887 jubilee coin set

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys 

picked up this beauty at auction house  last week finally arrived in post today. Was sold in professional auction house and had been validated by there in house professional. It was also listed and mentioned as proof set in original box. 

I’m a avid coin collector and have 20 years experience. Unless it’s in a NGC slab I’m always cautious to grade. I

Original coins its with original case. If you view the post please spend 30 seconds to leave a reply. Reply to grade, opinion to proof vs uncirculated, and if anyone is interested in the set also say. Once it’s been examined by myself properly I may well put in the market place. However it’s also so bloody nice I might just keep in my collection 🤣🤣.

the only viariation option in the set from my knowledge is on the crown coin. This set contains an Arabic 1 crown coin. 

Look forward for your guys verdicts.

cheers Britishcoins BC304E5C-119A-4A15-A4DF-433865653DDF.thumb.jpeg.454040d04d00a810bfdc9e6372f18ec4.jpeg5D1F1825-1AE0-4A35-BFB1-3708F01422D5.thumb.jpeg.c0b3ea8f172062ec298633944273f629.jpegC50875CD-1A34-4BDF-9B04-DD78F4AA5092.thumb.jpeg.e44f4cc5323d438224f977e403d28973.jpegD1DA9E24-C02D-4A33-9D70-DC17625928DA.thumb.jpeg.c37fec73402310599ee908f5bc237856.jpeg

I agree.  Finding a complete set like that is very cool. Congrats. From the pictures, I can"t guess a grade, or tell if they are MS or proof, but I can tell that I like 'em!

Beautiful set!  I have the 1887 6 Pence proof.  Hard to determine on grade concerning your set- have you had a chance to look at the reverse of coins?  Curious to the toning on that side as well.  Very nice having complete set intact- like as well!     

10 hours ago, PocketArt said:

Beautiful set!  I have the 1887 6 Pence proof.  Hard to determine on grade concerning your set- have you had a chance to look at the reverse of coins?  Curious to the toning on that side as well.  Very nice having complete set intact- like as well!     

Hi there, 

I have not had a detailed look at reverse yet. There's similar toning all I know. Is there anything on the reverse that can determine if there a proof coin or not? 

When i get chance I will add some more photos. 

The proof I have has mirrors in the field.  Of note, your set indicates "specimen set," on box, so, may not be a proof set but looks to still contain very nice uncirculated strikes.  That said, I don't know for sure as this is beyond the scope of my knowledge.  The internet is your friend on this to research, and there are world coin collectors on this board that have much more knowledge than myself.

This is what I use to research value, and mintage with any foreign coins.  Always a good start.  From there you are able to get an idea at least of value.  I'm leaning towards that you have an uncirculated set, as the mintage for proof are really low.   

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/  

Truth be told that does not look Proof,the edges should be close to what looks like a Engineered Cog,sharp as hell.

Take each coin out look at it edge ways,every line should look like a synchromesh,having said that you might have part proof, few do have the look from the pictures.

Specimen set....don't get to held up with that,they used that to describe a Proof set,owever How easy is it to take one coin out?         

4 hours ago, British coins said:

Can I ask what is NCS ? 

Numismatic Conservation Services, an arm of NGC that removes harmful substances and stabilizes the surfaces of coins, tokens, medsls, etc.

Link here

32 minutes ago, British coins said:

Thanks just bob what is the price to this?

4% of the fair market value of the coin ($25 minimum), with exceptions for some moderns and gold coins.