• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Registry Upgrades-Post feedback here!

33 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) is proud to announce that an upgraded NGC Registry is now available at NGCcoin.com/Registry.

The new NGC Registry is built like an elegant photo album to showcase coins and collections from around the world. To help users display their coins, the new NGC Registry has made images of more than 15 million NGC-certified coins available for free to NGC Registry participants.

In addition, the new NGC Registry uses the latest technologies to seamlessly resize for smartphones, tablets and desktops. It has also dramatically simplified the process to add coins and create new sets.

“The NGC Registry is one of the most exciting reasons to be a coin collector,” says Mark Salzberg, NGC Chairman and Grading Finalizer. “The recent upgrades make the NGC Registry easier and more fun, and we look forward to making additional improvements in the future.”

As NGC works to add more functionality to the new NGC Registry, the old version will remain fully functional at its familiar location on Collectors-Society.com. For example, Custom Sets are not yet built in the new NGC Registry and will continue to be on Collectors-Society.com until this work is completed.

NGC welcomes questions or suggestions for the new NGC Registry. Any feedback can be sent to newregistry@NGCcoin.com or posted here in this thread.

Well I'm not really sure that I like the new look all that much, perhaps some time to get familiar with it will help.  I do like the presentation of the sets (once you get to an individual set) as it really does highlight the sets with good photos of the coins.  But there are a few things that I really do not like with the new look.

1) First there is no way of knowing if the owner has added any comments about each coin unless the viewer clicks on show more for each single coin.  It would be far more effective if a single line of comments (followed by a clickable "more" link for long comments) was seen below the picture frame area.  That way the viewer would be able to read any comments from the owner without having to guess which coins do or do not have comments.  That might also induce the set owners to invest the time to add comments, and once the custom sets are moved to this format the comments are often just as important as the coins.

2) On the old registry a viewer could click on a date and pull up the scores by grade, I do not see that in the new format which makes it quite impossible to see how upgrades will affect the set score.

3) I understand the reason for putting the picture; if available; of the highest graded coin by the set.  But would it be possible for the set owner to elect to choose which picture is displayed.

As always thanks for your time and consideration of my thoughts.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Well I'm not really sure that I like the new look all that much, perhaps some time to get familiar with it will help.  I do like the presentation of the sets (once you get to an individual set) as it really does highlight the sets with good photos of the coins.  But there are a few things that I really do not like with the new look.

1) First there is no way of knowing if the owner has added any comments about each coin unless the viewer clicks on show more for each single coin.  It would be far more effective if a single line of comments (followed by a clickable "more" link for long comments) was seen below the picture frame area.  That way the viewer would be able to read any comments from the owner without having to guess which coins do or do not have comments.  That might also induce the set owners to invest the time to add comments, and once the custom sets are moved to this format the comments are often just as important as the coins.

2) On the old registry a viewer could click on a date and pull up the scores by grade, I do not see that in the new format which makes it quite impossible to see how upgrades will affect the set score.

3) I understand the reason for putting the picture; if available; of the highest graded coin by the set.  But would it be possible for the set owner to elect to choose which picture is displayed.

As always thanks for your time and consideration of my thoughts.

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback, Coinbuf. We will definitely take these comments into consideration with our upcoming releases.

Hi Ali,

I was looking at the new beta registry and currently have one disturbing observation.  I've spent a lot of time crafting custom set descriptions and coin descriptions that include tables, lists, different fonts, text colors, links and additional photos by embedding HTML code.  The final product looks really nice in the old registry format, but the code isn't interpreted in the new registry, so it just appears as regular text and the whole thing doesn't make much sense.  As an example, see my 1900-O Morgan Dollar or my 1942 Ecuador 20 Centavos in the old format and compare them to the way the descriptions appear within the new format sets.  That will be a real killer if I have to take all that out since I have literally hundreds of descriptions like this.

On 12/14/2018 at 9:10 AM, Ali E. said:

Any feedback can be sent to newregistry@NGCcoin.com or posted here in this thread. 

I sent email to this address, and it bounced saying:

==

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

EMAIL ADDRESS
Your message couldn't be delivered. Despite repeated attempts to contact the recipient's email system it didn't respond.

==

What I was reporting was that after using the option "Add NGC Images", it works for many coins, but not all. For example, in my South Africa 1-oz Proof Krugerrand set https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/120336, there are no images displayed for the GRC coins 1987-1991, but they are available per cert lookup. Same for the 1997 30th Anniversary coin.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, nangu said:

==

EMAIL ADDRESS
Your message couldn't be delivered. Despite repeated attempts to contact the recipient's email system it didn't respond.

==

What I was reporting was that after using the option "Add NGC Images", it works for many coins, but not all. For example, in my South Africa 1-oz Proof Krugerrand set https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/120336, there are no images displayed for the GRC coins 1987-1991, but they are available per cert lookup. Same for the 1997 30th Anniversary coin.

Thank you for letting us know, nangu.

We have staff checking into this. You may also email any feedback to registry@ngccoin.com

• Administrator
On 12/15/2018 at 4:47 PM, coin928 said:

Hi Ali,

I was looking at the new beta registry and currently have one disturbing observation.  I've spent a lot of time crafting custom set descriptions and coin descriptions that include tables, lists, different fonts, text colors, links and additional photos by embedding HTML code.  The final product looks really nice in the old registry format, but the code isn't interpreted in the new registry, so it just appears as regular text and the whole thing doesn't make much sense.  As an example, see my 1900-O Morgan Dollar or my 1942 Ecuador 20 Centavos in the old format and compare them to the way the descriptions appear within the new format sets.  That will be a real killer if I have to take all that out since I have literally hundreds of descriptions like this.

Hello, coin928.

Thank you for the feedback. I have forwarded your comments to the team for review. I will let you know when I hear back from them. 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, nangu said:

==

EMAIL ADDRESS

==

I have sent you an email about the images, nangu. Thank you.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Morpheus1967 said:

I am having the same issue.  Particularly with Kennedy halves. 

Thank you, Morpheus.

It can take 24 (business) hours for any available images to appear. Also, you may want to check the certification numbers in question on our cert. verification page. If no images appear in certification verification, then this means there were no security images taken of that particular coin when it was here for grading. As such, we would not have images for those coins available for you to upload into your NGC Registry sets.

If you still have issues, please email us at registry@ngccoin.com; we are happy to assist. Thank you. 

• Administrator
14 hours ago, nangu said:

==

EMAIL ADDRESS

==

nangu, our programmers have responded that all your available images are appearing now. There must have just been a delay. Not all of our program updates/processes run on the weekend, also. Thank you.

Hi Ali, one question for you.  From your op: "To help users display their coins, the new NGC Registry has made images of more than 15 million NGC-certified coins available for free to NGC Registry participants."  How does a set owner know if a picture of one of his/her coins is available? 

49 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Hi Ali, one question for you.  From your op: "To help users display their coins, the new NGC Registry has made images of more than 15 million NGC-certified coins available for free to NGC Registry participants."  How does a set owner know if a picture of one of his/her coins is available? 

When you go into your set, click the pencil in the right hand corner and select "Add NGC Images".

835385624_NGCImages.thumb.JPG.0e3041c83d29db536fa215aca3f7a733.JPG

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

RE: 

**The NEW NGC Registry - How do I upload NGC photos?**

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/414671-the-new-ngc-registry-how-do-i-upload-ngc-photos/

Thanks for the request, coinbuf.

Please follow the directions in the above link. Let us know if you need further assistance. Thanks.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Another quick question.  Will the "Reports" function be available on the new site?  For example to inventory report.  Or is it already there and I am just missing it?  Thanks.  

Hello, Morpheus.

Thank you for the inquiry about the new NGC Registry. The reporting function is part of the Collection Manager. If you would like to access your NGC Collection Manager, at this point, you still need to utilize the collectors-society.com website. We do plan on adding the Collection Manager feature to the new NGC Registry in the near future.

Thanks to you both Morpheus and Ali, but my question was is there a way to know if any pictures from NGC are available on an individual coin basis, not how to upload them.  I would prefer to review any that may be available prior to a mass upload.  In my case I doubt that there are many pictures available from NGC as most of my NGC coins were purchased long ago so it would likely be a short process to review them.  If I had a ton of recent modern coins a mass upload would be easier.

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Thanks to you both Morpheus and Ali, but my question was is there a way to know if any pictures from NGC are available on an individual coin basis, not how to upload them.  I would prefer to review any that may be available prior to a mass upload.  In my case I doubt that there are many pictures available from NGC as most of my NGC coins were purchased long ago so it would likely be a short process to review them.  If I had a ton of recent modern coins a mass upload would be easier.

Thanks for the question, Coinbuf.

If you have existing photos for your coins, our mass image upload will NOT replace any photos you already have. If you would like to see if any NGC photos exist for your coin(s), you will need to go to the NGC coin certification verification page and type in your certification number and grade. If any photos were taken of the coin at the time of grading, they would appear on that verification page. Thanks.

Capture.JPG

1. Will Html or some other form of coding be enabled? 

2. Can we embed videos, or youtube links? 

3. How do we change the cover photo for the set? Y'all picked a pretty good one for my set, but I may want to change it in the future. 

Hi Ali,

I have a question for you regarding the Custom Sets.  Are those going to follow the same format and layout as the Competitive Sets or are they going to have their own unique format?

Thanks!

~Tom

• Administrator
On 12/17/2018 at 9:16 AM, Ali E. said:

Hello, coin928.

Thank you for the feedback. I have forwarded your comments to the team for review. I will let you know when I hear back from them. 

Hello, coin928.

Primarily due to security reasons, we removed the HTML capability a few years ago. Anyone who already had code embedded in a NGC Registry set description was able to preserve it. Unfortunately, with the new NGC Registry, there is no way to carry that over. You may still view the information, however, as you composed it, on the existing Collector Society site. We will look at other editing capabilities for the new NGC Registry further down the road.

• Administrator
13 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

1. Will Html or some other form of coding be enabled? 

2. Can we embed videos, or youtube links? 

3. How do we change the cover photo for the set? Y'all picked a pretty good one for my set, but I may want to change it in the future. 

Thanks for your questions, physics-fan3.14.

Please see the response above in regard to HTML. For security reasons, videos will not be an option, either. We will add the ability to change the cover photo in a future release.

Regarding the cover picture chosen:

It appears that the current choice is for the coin that has the highest point score, and then in the event of a tie, the coin from the earlier/earliest year. Or at least, this is what it appears to be for my sets. However, for two of my Krugerrand sets, there is no image available for the coin chosen ... for one of the sets, I have two coins with the same highest score, but the one chosen (earlier year) has no image, while the other does. It would seem to be better to prefer any coin that has an image, over ones that do not.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nangu said:

Regarding the cover picture chosen:

It appears that the current choice is for the coin that has the highest point score, and then in the event of a tie, the coin from the earlier/earliest year. Or at least, this is what it appears to be for my sets. However, for two of my Krugerrand sets, there is no image available for the coin chosen ... for one of the sets, I have two coins with the same highest score, but the one chosen (earlier year) has no image, while the other does. It would seem to be better to prefer any coin that has an image, over ones that do not.

Thank you for the feedback, nangu.

Please see my response above about the cover photo. 

The initial pages are nice with the extra pictures as I for one was attracted to collecting coins not just for the history but also the designs. One of the aspects I found useful was the 'all coins/scores' page which was very helpful for building typesets as it made comparison of different dates and grades very easy. The new version has 'eligible coins' but you then have to look at each date individually for the scores, for a short series this is not a problem but for longer date runs such as British Victorian coinage this is a lot of work - am I just looking in the wrong place?

I would also agree with another comment in that it would be nice to be able to see the first few lines of any text associated with a coin as the default setting.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, ColonialCoinsUK said:

The initial pages are nice with the extra pictures as I for one was attracted to collecting coins not just for the history but also the designs. One of the aspects I found useful was the 'all coins/scores' page which was very helpful for building typesets as it made comparison of different dates and grades very easy. The new version has 'eligible coins' but you then have to look at each date individually for the scores, for a short series this is not a problem but for longer date runs such as British Victorian coinage this is a lot of work - am I just looking in the wrong place?

I would also agree with another comment in that it would be nice to be able to see the first few lines of any text associated with a coin as the default setting.

Hello.

Thank you for the feedback, ColonialCoinsUK. We will take your comments into consideration for future updates to the new NGC Registry. 

Ok so I bought this coin feeling it was a top pop as there were only 32 of this grade on NGC census of %5 of entire pop. and/or of this grade! Good buy, I felt so due to its bullion type coin and would have been treated as such so populations would have dropped significantly during the great depression, dust bowl, California gold rush, CC and NV, I will be paying my membership so that I may submitt some coins I think would be a wonderful marriage with an NGC slab, however this is how much faith I have in NGC this slab has done overtime but the coin is still in its MS64 state! Wow so what does the public have to say? NGC MS 64 # 1924648003 Thank you, Capone1929

I have really enjoyed participating in the NGC US coin registry over the years.  NGC has made a lot of great changes to the registry over the years and I really appreciate your efforts.  Now that I am starting to participate in the world coin registry I would like to make the following suggestion.  In the rules for the competitive awards it states that:

Awards will be presented in the following major categories:

• The TEN Best CLASSIC Sets: US or World Sets, 1792-1964

I can understand why NGC would want want to start the US sets at 1792, however, many world coins date back much earlier than this so it seems like a start date of 1600 or 1700 might be more appropriate.  Maybe this requirement could be restated as:

The TEN Best CLASSIC Sets: US (1792-1964) or World Sets (1600-1964)

I would be interested in hear what other people think about this suggestion.

Thanks for your consideration in this matter.