• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 Silver Eagle

8 posts in this topic

Please look at this 2008 Silver Dollar. It doesn’t have the “w” mint mark but the reverse is definitely 2007. How many Uncirculated Silver Eagle without the mintmark were minted. The mint said only the Burnished from West Point had this error. How can this coin exist?

F526925A-7293-43E3-83EE-FE425DF32CB6.png

43F9D2BB-6FB2-48A9-AA43-3783885B53CE.png

• Administrator

Thank you Lukelulu,

The 2008-W Silver Eagle was an exciting release for the numismatic world, for it brought with it the first major variety of the Silver Eagle series. This error, which is denoted as 2008 Reverse of 2007, occurred when the reverse design was slightly modified between 2007 and 2008. 

On this new design, a slightly different font was used, which added a tail to the "U" in "UNITED" along with a few other minor changes. The mint has gone on record with estimating a mintage of 47,000 of this error. If you are lucky enough to find one, they are worth a good premium over the normal variety. 

@LISA B, I think what he is saying is that this coin appears to be a 2008 reverse of 2007, but it does not have the W mint mark that a burnished coin should have.  Aren't all 2008 reverse of 2007 burnished, therefore needing the mint mark?

The "U" in United definitely appears to be 2007.  

3 hours ago, LISA B said:

Hello,

Only the burnished 2008-W Eagles come with the Reverse of 2007 variety.

Yes, I realize that.  However:

1.  The coin above is a 2008 coin.

2.  The coin above is NOT burnished.  We know this because of a lack of a mint mark.

3.  The reverse is not a 2008 reverse.  It is a 2007 reverse.  Look at the U.  

Here is the 2007 and 2008 reverses.  How can the above coin be a 2008 with a reverse of 2007?  It is either a business strike with the 2007 reverse, or it is missing a mint mark. Or am I missing something? First photo is a 2007 reverse, second is a 2008.

2007 Reverse.jpg

2008 Reverse.jpg

If you verify the cert number and look at the reverse picture that pulls up it appears the OP may have accidentally paired the wrong reverse picture with the obverse picture. I personally do not collect modern coins, but I do believe the reverse picture in the cert verification shows a 2008 reverse. 

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

If you verify the cert number and look at the reverse picture that pulls up it appears the OP may have accidentally paired the wrong reverse picture with the obverse picture. I personally do not collect modern coins, but I do believe the reverse picture in the cert verification shows a 2008 reverse. 

This seems to be what happened. The cert verification photo shows a normal 2008 bullion Silver Eagle with the proper reverse of 2008. 

-Paul