• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd Mercury error or damage

9 posts in this topic

First I want to say thanks for everyone that's stopped by to help. I really appreciate it. I've got a 1916 Mercury that isn't even close to being a whole coin. Could someone please help? Is it mint errors or damage after the mint? If it's an error what is it called and how rare is it?

20181208_095317.jpg

20181208_095556.jpg

I think what you have is one side of a magician's coin.  A magician's coin is a coin where one side has been filed away like this one one coin and a filed down second coin is adhered to it in order to make a two-headed coin, a two-tailed coin or a coin that combines two different coins.  An example of this last would be if a filed down Roosevelt Dime was adhered to your half of a Mercury.  These coins are used by illusionists for tricks and they are also common conversation pieces sold in gift and novelty shops the world over.  Sadly, a coin such as yours is simply a heavily damaged coin and has no real value.

What's enough to make one cry about the Merc is the possibility that the reverse might have had a D mint mark.