• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1837 hard times token re strike ?

3 posts in this topic

this is an 1837 hard times token  i think this is a re strike by Charles ira Bushnell in the 1850s it looks like he used the face of one token and the reverse of another according to this only 6 are known to exist ?  does anyone have any other information on this thanks greg1044673190_COIN003.thumb.JPG.56226264e6a0332553ad8b047c9ece26.JPG

coin 2 002.JPG

I don't believe that your token is a restrike. It appears to be Low-39/HT-52/W-11-170a. (Those are catalog numbers used by Lyman Low, Russel Rulau, and Q. David Bowers, respectively. ) According to Bowers, the same obverse die was used for HT-49 through HT-52, along with an unlisted brass token that he numbers W-11-160b. The reverse die was only used on this token, as far as I can discover. It is listed in Bowers and Rulau as an R2. Also, according to Rulau, it was struck by the Scovill brothers of Waterbury, CT.

Incidentally,  the notion that Bushnell either produced fantasies or had them produced is attributed by Bowers to the fact that Low assumed this was true after two fantasies were found in Bushnell's collection when it was sold. It was repeated as fact by Rulau and even Bowers himself, until he determined it not to be true.