• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another pennie

12 posts in this topic

Morning pep. I'm getting better at this but pisses me off when I post wrong pic. So I'll be a little more carful.  Got two 1968 d pennies. Hope I get this right. Both have the words in God we trust against the rim. One has a filled in d and it looks like dd date . Does anyone see anything else..tnks

IMG_20181206_113707592.jpg

IMG_20181206_115358083.jpg

By 1968 the master hub was seriously spreading out from overuse.  When the die was turned in the lathe after hubbing to the proper diameter the lettering was up against the rim.  So in 1969 a brand new modified obv hub was introduced.  Your 1968's are normal for that year.

On 12/6/2018 at 1:41 PM, Conder101 said:

By 1968 the master hub was seriously spreading out from overuse.  When the die was turned in the lathe after hubbing to the proper diameter the lettering was up against the rim.  So in 1969 a brand new modified obv hub was introduced.  Your 1968's are normal for that year.

I was told that also one time by an older collector..thanks..cool...

Live and learn, tnks my frnd. Got another one for ya. A 1996 finger print(that's what I call it ..lol) I saw it was also called a tire mark.....go figure. I'm sure I'll be corrected...anyway ya don't have to be an expert to see what I'm talking about..soooooo wat up..tnks

IMG_20181211_092641960.jpg

IMG_20181211_093344623.jpg

IMG_20181211_092037326.jpg

On 12/14/2018 at 1:14 PM, kramden said:

Hahahahaha. Oh man . How do u get a print to stay on the penny? Maybe it's honest Abe's... thanks

One of the problems with posting on a chat board is the fact that you can't hear inflections or read facial expressions. You only have words and numbers to use to try to interpret the poster's meaning and intent. So, I don't know if your question is serious or just joking. The best that I can do is to assert that I was not trying to be funny or flippant. That really is a thumb (or large finger) print. The oils in the skin affect the metal on the surface of the coin, causing it to tone in that pattern.

Hi just Bob. I don't think Abe was alive when the coin was made. Case closed...ok I've been going thru my 64s and came up with these 4. 1964 d. The upper rt coin is wiped out. The date, and everything else looks like it was smashed with a lot of force. Now one of the other coins looks like the smashed one but not as intense. And it looks like some of the coins culd be DD. So far I've blown it out my butt on thinking what I found. But it's been a learning experience and I've gained more knowledge in my mistakes. So what thank pep.

IMG_20181219_205131865.jpg

IMG_20181219_210003864.jpg

Hello,

I just see four perfectly normal 1964-D Lincoln Cents, one that is heavily damaged and one with corrosion.  I see nothing that would indicate any doubled dies or any other types of errors based on the photos of the coins provided.

11 hours ago, kramden said:

Hi just Bob. I don't think Abe was alive when the coin was made. Case closed...

I know I should let this go, but I just can't. Please explain to me just exactly what Abraham Lincoln being alive or dead in 1996 has to do with the fact that your coin has a thumb print on it.