• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions on authenticity

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone and thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply to this. I’m a new collector and have been trying to get into buying and selling some coins here and there. I typically buy and sell watches and jewelry and just kind of happened to fall into this a bit by default when dealing with jewelry. I recently came across a guy with who I purchased a large collection of large cent, half cent, shield nickles, 1931s and 1922 no d. Everything seemed to line up with his story and why he was selling. However after I left I really questioned the authenticity of what I bought. Mainly because some of these coins have a pretty high value. Anyhow I’m going to post a few here and see what everyone has to say. Thanks again. If I need clearer pictures please let me know. The coins have black sutte on them because according to him they were kept in a stove next to a wood burner. Do these appear to be authentic? 4EBC530F-1558-478D-80A4-7F1E482C513B.thumb.jpeg.b825545d4b3167fafe37bd804471c44a.jpeg

2F7019EF-B530-4BA1-8A4B-D839679D79B6.jpeg

The last picture in the post of the wreath reverse I would take a second look at...not saying its suspect...I will look again when I can...as far as high value I didn't notice any key dates but I welcome anyone's correction...there are excellent members here that will help and respond....I think your coins are cool...wait to clean them until advice given here...

Photos can be very deceptive on color even with the best of intentions. Offhand, my impression is that there is no reason to think any of them are counterfeit. There is at least some visual evidence of bad cleaning, and that would worry me rather more.

According to the NGC coin explorer, the 1836 Half Cent was only minted as a proof and restrikes and are all pretty rare and expensive. The reverse pictured here doesn't appear to be a proof coin to me. 

Thanks you so much for taking the time to answer. So I actually posted these ones first. Some commons. I have about 80 or so others. I have a 1796 with pole etc. this guy was adamant about me keeping them as a collector. Supposedly his father spent 30 years in the cia and collected coins as his hobby. I paid everything I had in my pocket which was about $2,143.00 dollars. His story seemed simple enough to believe and they looked old enough to fit the part but I just don’t know. There are so many con men out there that you just can’t ever be to sure. His family owned a serous of trailers and he was living in one where I also drove to pick them up. Not that a trailer should make me suspect but it’s kind of just the whole situation. I bought like 5 different type of coins and each has the complete series of coins. I can’t speak for condition other than I’m amazed at how well I can see them being that some of the half cents are from the late 1700’s. 

22C01512-E789-4BBD-A0B4-71185627BB55.jpeg

78C8BD05-7492-460F-B6AD-0FF688F6B4C1.jpeg

Do these look authentic or at least authentic enough that I shouldn’t have them sitting on my table at home? Lol. I know gold coins a little bit. As I had previously mentioned I buy and sell Jewlery and watches. Dealing with those I’ve just happened into a few coins here and there. Until I met this guy and I bought everything he has. What’s your guys thoughts? 

I personally think you got taken. The 1836 half cent, as tejas said, was only minted in proof, and in very limited numbers. Your coin does not appear to be a proof. If one coin is fake, I would not trust any of them.

I don't believe the "kept in a stove" story, either, for what it is worth.

Sorry, I think you bought 2 grand worth of Chinese junk.

Edited to add: the 1796 half cent looks fake, as well. :sick:

Safe or stove, I still don't believe that the location or storage device accounts for the look of the coins.I believe it is an applied patina, intended to make the "coins" appear more authentic.

Actually, that makes the story even less plausible. A safe is designed to protect its contents, not let enough smoke in to cover them with soot.

Yeah that was my fear. Based on the white and non yellowed holders with finger prints. One would assume that they would also turn grey if the coins themselves turned grey. Outside of the visual aspects is there anything else I should do to be sure? What would your advice be?

The 1836 half cent is definitely fake, it comes as an original and two different restrikes and the reverse on your coin does not match any of them.  On the original and the first restrike the point of the leaf below the second S in STATES is below the left serif.  On yours it is far past the right edge of the letter.  (The second restrike uses a completely different style of reverse, the reverse first used in 1840.)

I believe the 1879 nickel 3 cent is fake, the 9 is too high and too small.

The 1796 half cent is definitely fake, the reverse is from 1794.

Can't say anything about the other coins and there are no paired obverses and reverses.

Yeah that was my fear. I’m going to post a few more pictures of the other coins I have (ones he sold me). Then I’m likely going to talk with this guy. If these are fake as well I have no doubt he knows. Stupid me obviously but it was either an honest mistake and he didn’t know or he’s been doing this for a while. It couldn’t have come at a worse time for me personally. I guess it’s a lesson well learned however. If you know someone is selling fake coins isn’t that something you can report?

EA07C080-0453-45F6-9B74-541EE0B1A979.jpeg

85955FED-2C82-4A0B-A3D3-7917198AC121.jpeg