• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

REGISTRY EXCITEMENT

35 posts in this topic

Esteemed contributor @Revenant makes a good point: my nick-names may have inadvertent connotations to some. 

Instead I will simply point out this uncontested fact: at a seemingly arbitrary time, stating subjective reasoning, NGC changed it's rules to give one group an extreme advantage over everyone else in its US coin "competitions".  This course was chosen over other options that are universally fair. I agree with @Numismatic, A.A.S. when he said: "I think the issue is overall the awards for highest, best sets are awarded to sets with PCGS coins in them....the NGC all sets.. like mine, are defeated to these and it pisses me off. Should be only NGC Coins not any PCGS coins allowed."

On 4/9/2019 at 2:36 PM, Revenant said:

Just my 2 cents from having been around a while

Is your experience as a dealer and have you been submitting coins since 1989?  I ask because I was accused of favoritism with NGC by other dealers in the past. Those same dealers didn't spend Thousands of $$$ with NGC either....I did and do...if you get my point....as far as the Registry with PCGS Coins, that is an unfair situation to us who have been with NGC since the late 80's...early 90's....just so you understand where some of us old timers stand and why.  P.S. I love your journals, makes me understand the balance of collecting and everyday life....peace 

On 4/9/2019 at 6:36 PM, BlakeEik said:

Esteemed contributor @Revenant makes a good point: my nick-names may have inadvertent connotations to some. 

Instead I will simply point out this uncontested fact: at a seemingly arbitrary time, stating subjective reasoning, NGC changed it's rules to give one group an extreme advantage over everyone else in its US coin "competitions".  This course was chosen over other options that are universally fair. I agree with @Numismatic, A.A.S. when he said: "I think the issue is overall the awards for highest, best sets are awarded to sets with PCGS coins in them....the NGC all sets.. like mine, are defeated to these and it pisses me off. Should be only NGC Coins not any PCGS coins allowed."

Those of us who have been with NGC since the late 80's and as dealer's understand the in and outs. Others who don't intervene at the business level with them might not understand the who's who on submitting. They still have a right to post their opinions....Revenant has made valid points in the past and has won awards for his journals so there are areas with NGC he understands. If he has years of experience submitting coins in which places food on his table, coin show attendance as a dealer, market maker, then he would understand that aspect of the Good Old Boy network everyone's afraid to speak of. He has a right to his opinion here, maybe he will understand our side of it.

On 12/25/2018 at 12:55 PM, Zebo said:

I am trying to focus on one segment of my collection. The registry awards are a fun time a year to see all of the outstanding sets out there. I thought I had a quiet 2018, but I did pick up some significant additions to my set. Hopefully a few more in 2019.

What segment are you focusing on? What did you add, are you still on your coarse with it?

On April 17, 2019 at 7:26 PM, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

What segment are you focusing on? What did you add, are you still on your coarse with it?

My current focus is on Australian sovereigns (1855-1931). I stray sometimes to add to my Great Britain, South Africa, or Canadian sovereigns. I added a few this year including a couple of rare ones. I am pretty much staying focused and making progress.