• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REGISTRY EXCITEMENT
1 1

35 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

This post went over like a terd in a punch bowl...

Surprising as it is most of the registry set builders do not visit the Chat Boards. I sell to many collectors in the NGC club. Most of them do not like the Chats.

2 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Surprising as it is most of the registry set builders do not visit the Chat Boards. I sell to many collectors in the NGC club. Most of them do not like the Chats.

And then, there are those of us who purchase and own NGC graded coins,but don't participate in the registry. We don't really have anything to add, either.

6 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

As do I Rick, and I do find that to be true as well.  Most of my buyers don't seem to participate here on the boards, but many of them are building Registry Sets.  And Bob is correct too about collectors of NGC coins that don't participate in the Registry but that participate on the boards.  It's funny how that goes.  As for myself, if the same new format that is being introduced for the Competitive Registry Sets is introduced for the Custom Sets as well, I may retire from Registry collecting.  I don't like that any write-ups or notes on the coins do not pop-up immediately with the pictures anymore.  That format would be awful for my thematic sets.

Edited by Mohawk

To each his own. We are all different in our own special way and collect coins the way we want to. I like both sides of NGC. Registry and Chats (thumbsu

Edited by Six Mile Rick

38 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

To each his own. We are all different in our own special way and collect coins the way we want to. I like both sides of NGC. Registry and Chats (thumbsu

So true Rick, so true.  Diversity in the collecting world is good for the whole hobby and we all benefit from it.  I really think that.  I like the current format of the NGC Registry and I like the Chats, of course.  I enjoy being part of the community here, and even if NGC does change the format of the Custom Sets to one similar to the new Competitive Registry format and I retire from participating in that piece of it, I'm going to stay active here on the boards.  This is a great community, and I enjoy it greatly, even though my dissertation is keeping me from being as active as I used to be.  I also have to be fair......I'm moving more into currency rather than coins in my own collecting lately, so that will affect my decision regarding the Registry as well.  Who knows what will happen next?  I will say that the new Registry format looks awesome for the Competitive Sets though.  It's a great presentation for that side of things.

8 minutes ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I can totally relate to all the above...I fit into each statement at one point and time and currently...so goes the flow..

Agreed.  I've fit into every part of that at different points in my collecting life and I'd imagine that many of us here have been on all sides of this issue as well at different points.  I'm glad that I've fit into all of those perspectives at different points.....it's allowed me to learn much more than I ever would have if I had just stuck to one mode of collecting or just collecting the same thing over the course of time.  Every mode of collecting has taught me a lot, so they've all been valuable experiences.

Well, I realize I'm kind of late to this party, but I always get a little excited about the awards / the deadlines when they're coming up, even when I haven't had the time or the money to do much collecting in the last year and I always like to do a quick check of a couple of important categories to me.

Sadly I wasn't able to accomplish one of my major goals for the year this year in that I wasn't able to get the 1877 10G I needed before the deadline - I won that auction 4 days after the cut-off, but I'm going to be really excited for next year.

I am trying to focus on one segment of my collection. The registry awards are a fun time a year to see all of the outstanding sets out there. I thought I had a quiet 2018, but I did pick up some significant additions to my set. Hopefully a few more in 2019.

On 12/23/2018 at 3:03 PM, Revenant1 said:

Well, I realize I'm kind of late to this party, but I always get a little excited about the awards / the deadlines when they're coming up, even when I haven't had the time or the money to do much collecting in the last year and I always like to do a quick check of a couple of important categories to me.

Sadly I wasn't able to accomplish one of my major goals for the year this year in that I wasn't able to get the 1877 10G I needed before the deadline - I won that auction 4 days after the cut-off, but I'm going to be really excited for next year.

Don't sweat it...excitement leading up to next year's awards will be worth the wait...time is a constant...never changing, only our perception of it...besides, you can add or upgrade others during....peace

3 hours ago, Zebo said:

I am trying to focus on one segment of my collection. The registry awards are a fun time a year to see all of the outstanding sets out there. I thought I had a quiet 2018, but I did pick up some significant additions to my set. Hopefully a few more in 2019.

Definitely, some outstanding sets for sure...and trying to focus on one segment...I totally understand...congrats!! Salute!!

Back to the main menu at the top. NGC registry excitement. Sorry to mislead your post a little there Numismatic, A.A.S.

This November Mark Gibson had the top NGC graded Rank #1 clad dime set and decided to retire the set. The set has been selling off every week at Great Collections.I managed to win 50 great dimes from his set to add to mine. I was excited with each week winnings as I added them into my set!! Merry Christmas To Me!!  :tonofbricks:  :roflmao:

I enjoy checking all the different sets that are on top to see who has the best coins available.  It's great when they actually have PICS!!! :)

I am slacking quite a bit in the pics area but will get it together in 2019 with all pics in my sets.

Edited by Six Mile Rick

On 12/26/2018 at 6:20 PM, Six Mile Rick said:

I am slacking quite a bit in the pics area but will get it together in 2019 with all pics in my sets.

I definitely keep putting it off, on one of my Top Sets I need to add one picture and for these chat boards I could use a ton of pictures...just need to make time..but things just keep flowing and it gets put off again...

14 hours ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I definitely keep putting it off, on one of my Top Sets I need to add one picture and for these chat boards I could use a ton of pictures...just need to make time..but things just keep flowing and it gets put off again...

I'm definitely not perfect about this (getting images up), but these days I tend to wrap getting pictures taken into my whole process of buying a coin and enjoying / savoring the process, especially when the coin is for a major set that's a big deal to me. I'll buy that coin and I won't buy another one for awhile as I just take some time, looking at it and really getting to enjoy that new addition, and I'll take pictures of it and make a nice description for it depending on what I've been doing with that set so far. Often times if the set isn't too huge I'll drag out the whole set, look at all the coins in the set and enjoy them as a group. Depending on how long it has been since I took pictures of that group of coins and how much my approach to coin photography has changed I may re-image the whole set at that point to give the presentation of the set a nice, consistent look. Overall I think it lets me get the enjoyment out of the hobby / purchase more and helps dampen the impulse / drive to always be buying more and obsessing over the next purchase and not enjoying what you have.

2 hours ago, Revenant said:

I'm definitely not perfect about this (getting images up), but these days I tend to wrap getting pictures taken into my whole process of buying a coin and enjoying / savoring the process, especially when the coin is for a major set that's a big deal to me. I'll buy that coin and I won't buy another one for awhile as I just take some time, looking at it and really getting to enjoy that new addition, and I'll take pictures of it and make a nice description for it depending on what I've been doing with that set so far. Often times if the set isn't too huge I'll drag out the whole set, look at all the coins in the set and enjoy them as a group. Depending on how long it has been since I took pictures of that group of coins and how much my approach to coin photography has changed I may re-image the whole set at that point to give the presentation of the set a nice, consistent look. Overall I think it lets me get the enjoyment out of the hobby / purchase more and helps dampen the impulse / drive to always be buying more and obsessing over the next purchase and not enjoying what you have.

There is wisdom in that post.

It is quite easy to buy a coin, enter it into your database, put it away, and move on to the next one. Your approach is a great way to get maximum enjoyment from each purchase.

Who knows, maybe I'll jump in this year, and with photos.

But first I'll have to check out the Registry, and see what it is all about.

With regard to photos, I'll have to see if I can get an old iPhone to work better for me.  Every time I bring photos over from it, at seemingly random occurrences it completely screws up my MacBook Pro, and it can take me a whole afternoon to debug the problem.  Instead of turning on with a grey Apple, it turns on with a green Apple… the sour apple of doom.

So, we'll see…

On 1/15/2019 at 10:26 AM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Who knows, maybe I'll jump in this year, and with photos.

But first I'll have to check out the Registry, and see what it is all about.

With regard to photos, I'll have to see if I can get an old iPhone to work better for me.  Every time I bring photos over from it, at seemingly random occurrences it completely screws up my MacBook Pro, and it can take me a whole afternoon to debug the problem.  Instead of turning on with a grey Apple, it turns on with a green Apple… the sour apple of doom.

So, we'll see…

I just had a person who worked on stuff for the Govt., he fixed the whole thing for me, it's faster and works better than ever on my older mac...wish I could be tech savvy like that....

Finally got the MacBook Pro sorted out.  Works like new again.

This was after debugging it, time and again, the last two weeks for around 20 hours (literally) in total.

Here's what the Green Apple of Doom looks like:

Tried to drag the screen shot I had of the Green Apple of Doom into this post at 11:00am, this morning.

A spinning rainbow wheel appeared, and my screen went blank… uh, oh!

Now, I had learned to never open Photos while the Internet bars are up.

This time, I had photos open, the Internet bars up, and I was attempting a drag and drop…

Really, really bad news.

I couldn't get rid of the Green Apple, and I spent 4 1/2 hours of debugging.

At 4:00 pm, I got things running.  Worst MacBook Pro crash I've ever had.

I kept trying a newfound technique I learned yesterday, the resetting of the System Management Controller, but the Green Apple ruled the day.

I cannot even believe I am posting right now.

Maybe think twice on how to do a Registry with pics this year.

I think the total time I've spent debugging this computer, since the first episode of the Green Apple occurred last Fall, is on the order of 120 hours.

How did I solve it this time?

I finally unscrewed the Internet cable, and got lucky with the D + Power Button after the Internet reset… (just coincidental pure luck, maybe)

After the diagnostic testing — about the 10th time today — said my computer was fine, I tried the Power On/Off

The Green Apple corduroy screen appeared, then went white as the progress bar hung up, then the fans whirred like crazy, and when it did an automatic restart 30 seconds later, the grey apple finally showed up.

Here's an Internet pic of the Green Apple, since I can't show my screen shot from my Photos file:

image.png.1a74fc69a453d93cae44202b50bae01e.png

If you see this, you're in BIG TROUBLE!!!!!!

I've been seeing it all the time today… thought I was a goner.

MacBook Pro unable to boot up, green screen. (caption accompanying the photo)

3 hours ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Here's what the Green Apple of Doom looks like:

Huh, I've never seen that before, but then, I haven't had an apple in 20 years. I guess that is apples equivalent to Microsoft's Blue Screen of Death (BSoD).

If you don't mind some unsolicited advice: If you want to build out sets with pictures and descriptions and you have a large-ish collection with a lot of sets, just pick your favorite sets, start there, and focus on one set at a time. It gets over-whelming otherwise and I find that very de-motivating.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:05 PM, Revenant said:

you don't mind some unsolicited advice: If you want to build out sets with pictures and descriptions and you have a large-ish collection with a lot of sets, just pick your favorite sets, start there, and focus on one set at a time. It gets over-whelming otherwise and I find that very de-motivating.

Yes, this, exactly how I see it...I've been in that situation several times and learned the hard way...

Here is my story: NGC decided to NOT allow PCGS coins to be added to their registry any more.  Yet they allow PCGS coins to remain if already there. How is this remotely fair? They should count for everyone or no one. PERIOD. Is fairness not important to them?  The President of NGC says its because the other service has "lowered their standards." Ha! Try crossing from NGC to PCGS with pre-1965 coins - Good luck! Odds are much better going the other way.  Almost ALL of the top sets on the NGC registry have some/mostly PCGS coins.

I responded by removing all my PCGS coins from the registry and focused on only buying PCGS coins.   

On 3/5/2019 at 7:39 AM, BlakeEik said:

I responded by removing all my PCGS coins from the registry and focused on only buying PCGS coins.   

I will not be judgmental....I understand your upset...I think the issue is overall the awards for highest, best sets are awarded to sets with PCGS coins in them....the NGC all sets.. like mine, are defeated to these and it pisses me off. Should be only NGC Coins not any PCGS coins allowed. I called and NGC lady told me in the NGC only category I was #2....OK, cool...but why aren't the best awards for only NGC coins, these best overall sets should not include PCGS coins at all.....ugh...so frustrating......

On 3/12/2019 at 1:22 AM, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I will not be judgmental....I understand your upset...I think the issue is overall the awards for highest, best sets are awarded to sets with PCGS coins in them....the NGC all sets.. like mine, are defeated to these and it pisses me off. Should be only NGC Coins not any PCGS coins allowed. I called and NGC lady told me in the NGC only category I was #2....OK, cool...but why aren't the best awards for only NGC coins, these best overall sets should not include PCGS coins at all.....ugh...so frustrating......

100% agree. A shame there has to be a good'ole boy network that gets special treatment.

18 hours ago, BlakeEik said:

100% agree. A shame there has to be a good'ole boy network that gets special treatment.

You know, for what it's worth, I've never gotten that impression / vibe from NGC or any of the people that work here. I work in engineering and I work in the Oil and Gas industry. I know all too well how a Good Ole Boy network operates and what one can look like. NGC doesn't give me that vibe. I've never seen them give someone preferred treatment because of that person having an "in" or being a big shot or a long term member, or anything like that and I think it's very much by design. If you look at the replies that we get from Ali, Dena, Lisa and all the other admins / NGC employees, it's all very matter of fact, "by the book" sort of stuff. There is none of this "wink wink" nonsense that you get with a good ole boy system. When the addition of future PCGS coins was barred, it was a clean cut off. Everyone was treated equally at that time. Yeah, I guess you could raise a point on new vs old members and the grandfathering, but their was no "in group" that got better treatment than the others, so I don't think the Good Ole Boy claim is valid.

Just my 2 cents from having been around a while.