• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full circle...

2 posts in this topic

I’ve been an active collector for over 40 years. I started with an undefined goal, getting any “old” coin I could afford. Eventually, I focused on US types, excluding gold. I tried to focus on VF to XF condition, to keep expenditures reasonable. Over time I found myself gravitating to US Large Cents. I built a very nice (not complete) set of early, middle, and late date cents. Eventually, I sold the types and the circulated cents, and focused on mint state late dates. Being on a fixed (retired) income, I will probably never finish my late date cent set. However, I feel somehow connected to the very first US collectors, who began collecting when the big coppers were replaced with the Flying Eagle cent. I think, over time, I have come “full circle” and found the roots of US collecting.

3 hours ago, Treeman said:

I’ve been an active collector for over 40 years. I started with an undefined goal, getting any “old” coin I could afford. Eventually, I focused on US types, excluding gold. I tried to focus on VF to XF condition, to keep expenditures reasonable. Over time I found myself gravitating to US Large Cents. I built a very nice (not complete) set of early, middle, and late date cents. Eventually, I sold the types and the circulated cents, and focused on mint state late dates. Being on a fixed (retired) income, I will probably never finish my late date cent set. However, I feel somehow connected to the very first US collectors, who began collecting when the big coppers were replaced with the Flying Eagle cent. I think, over time, I have come “full circle” and found the roots of US collecting.

Very so, and from your perspective I can also see and feel a connection to the Early Collector's of certain series that I wander in and out of...U.S. Large Cents are important to you and Our Hobby...I feel as though I myself have come full circle with some areas of Numismatics...Financially I have explored the realm of starving until acquiring certain coins and at times just settling for modest examples. Your Post really got me thinking about what has been left done and undone on a psychological level...