• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roman coin identification Roma wolf Constantine ?

10 posts in this topic

Definitely got the reverse type right. Looks like the bristly back version of the lupa. I'd say obverse, helmeted bust (be surprised if it weren't draped and cuirassed) facing left. That thing behind the head that looks like a J knocked over 90 degrees counterclockwise could wind up being diagnostic for pinpointing the obverse.

54 minutes ago, JKK said:

Definitely got the reverse type right. Looks like the bristly back version of the lupa. I'd say obverse, helmeted bust (be surprised if it weren't draped and cuirassed) facing left. That thing behind the head that looks like a J knocked over 90 degrees counterclockwise could wind up being diagnostic for pinpointing the obverse.

Thanks for the comment,

im really struggling on seeing the mint marks below the twins and and the wolf. 

I can _S_N do you have any thoughts on what I’m missing here 

I'm quite sure it's a commemorative. There are a large number of VRBS ROMA commems that have the plumed, visored, crested bust of Roma obverse, she-wolf nursing twins reverse. So I shoveled through a long list of types, and the exergue choices I found are:

SMALx (where x is an oficina mark, typically a Greek letter). If so, that's Alexandria.

SMANx. Antioch.

AQP. Aquileia (not many of these).

xCONSxx. Constantinople. Note that the x can also mean a dot, or be absent. Clear as mud.

SMKx. Cyzicus. Many of these and I think it might be the one. Roman letters got banged around on coins.

SMHx. Heraclea.

xLG. Lugdunum.

SMNx. Nicomedia.

RxQ. Roma.

xSISx. Siscia. Also seems like a candidate.

SMTSx. Thessalonike.

xTRx. Trier.

If you want to pore a little more over the options, scan these. I suggest looking for those that show the ruffled fur, because that could narrow it down a whole bunch. But statistically, that coin almost has to be one of those mints.

23 hours ago, JKK said:

I'm quite sure it's a commemorative. There are a large number of VRBS ROMA commems that have the plumed, visored, crested bust of Roma obverse, she-wolf nursing twins reverse. So I shoveled through a long list of types, and the exergue choices I found are:

SMALx (where x is an oficina mark, typically a Greek letter). If so, that's Alexandria.

SMANx. Antioch.

AQP. Aquileia (not many of these).

xCONSxx. Constantinople. Note that the x can also mean a dot, or be absent. Clear as mud.

SMKx. Cyzicus. Many of these and I think it might be the one. Roman letters got banged around on coins.

SMHx. Heraclea.

xLG. Lugdunum.

SMNx. Nicomedia.

RxQ. Roma.

xSISx. Siscia. Also seems like a candidate.

SMTSx. Thessalonike.

xTRx. Trier.

If you want to pore a little more over the options, scan these. I suggest looking for those that show the ruffled fur, because that could narrow it down a whole bunch. But statistically, that coin almost has to be one of those mints.

I think you right KK,

I'm still looking not decided entirely yet. The coin itself is still being posted to me once it arrives I will have better pictures. I also think the point you made earlier about the J behind the head of roma is also a good key to find this coin. As you rightly pointed out its very horizontal to a 90 degrees of the center of the coin. Whilst strolling through I've noticed there is a great deal of variations to the angle of this part of roma's helmet.

Basically its narrowed the search down a great deal bristle back fur and J at a 90 degree angle to back of roma's helmet. I keep finding very similar the only thing that keeps throwing me of is the mint mark below the wolf and twins. I think the bad picture is not helping here the only letters im confident on when from that picture is a S and an N. 

I think you are right, because I think what looks in the pic like an N at the end could also be and likely is an S. If those are our four choices, I lean to the oficina mark being B because it's hard to imagine it being any of the other three from the pic. It is possible that the ruffled back fur is a variation within the type. Good job!

I'd give it a G. Sear lists that one (however many years ago Sear wrote his books...couple decades at least, I think) as £8 in VF, which I think you'd agree would be an unrealistic grade for this one. The type is not rare, and if nicer ones probably sell for £15 now (easy to look up on auction sites as  "Sear 16515"), I wouldn't expect to get more than £6 for it. If I were running a coin store, I'd put it out there for US$10-12, max. Probably US$12 and hope for the commemorative nature and uncommon reverse to attract me a couple extra bucks.

Hello! If I may say a few things about the coin, it is an VRBS ROMA Commemorative coin with a mint mark of •ΓSIS• (Dot-Gamma-SIS-Dot). I am not an expert on Roman coins, but I am very familiar with the VRBS ROMA Wolf and Twins Commemorative type, as I have been collecting them for over a decade now. I am actually looking for other collectors who are also hunting for the Wolf and her twins.

As to the coin's grade, I agree with Sire JKK giving it a G, as Fine and Very Fine would be an overstatement. As for the price, I would tag it around 10 USD. Based from my observations, the price tags for VRBS ROMA Commemoratives have gone up more than 5 times compared to the usual prices when I started collecting them. The demand has also significantly increased.

Cheers!