• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 small date copper penny
1 1

81 posts in this topic

Hi. Jim here, the rookie. Now I'm confused. I found a 1982 d small date copper penny weighing 3.1. Why was I told from pic that it's low value. These I thot were big money. At least that's the hype. Someone plz explain. I'm bummedIMG_20181124_103005939.thumb.jpg.6dfd2c781d5ccb60841a99da98feef40.jpg

2 hours ago, kramden said:

Hi. Jim here, the rookie. Now I'm confused. I found a 1982 d small date copper penny weighing 3.1. Why was I told from pic that it's low value. These I thot were big money. At least that's the hype. Someone plz explain. I'm bummedIMG_20181124_103005939.thumb.jpg.6dfd2c781d5ccb60841a99da98feef40.jpg

It's the 1982-D Copper Small Date that is rare.  Your coin is a 1982 Philadelphia Small Date.  1982 Small Date Cents were made in large numbers in both copper and copper-plated zinc at the Philadelphia Mint.  However, all of the 1982 Small Date cents struck at the Denver Mint were supposed to be of the copper-plated zinc composition.  The 1982-D Copper Small Date is a coin that isn't supposed to exist.  However, a very small number of 1982-D Small Date cents made in the copper alloy have been found in the past few years.  These are considered a transitional error that was made due to a few copper planchets being left in the production line at the Denver Mint that were left over from earlier production of 1982-D Large Date copper cents.  To be worth anything, a 1982 Small Date cent has to have a D mint mark below the date and be made of the copper alloy.  Your coin doesn't have the D mint mark.

Sob.  Mfker. Goofball rookie move. Got to give u peep  a thousand pardons. I blew it. No excuse, my bad..I put the wrong pic on here. Didn't have glasses on. I'll get the right one on...

IMG_20181030_063309088.jpg

I will start by saying hello as I am brand new and this is my first post. Having said that... Now, I am a bit confused. It is my understanding that all the bronze 82 SD's in >MS65-ish are worth something; the most recent example being the MS67 which recently sold for $3700.00-something (not sure of the exact number). 

Welcome to the forum, C370. The Redbook, which we all know gives high retail prices for the coins in it, lists a price of $125 for a 1982 small date copper alloy cent. If someone paid $3700 for one, there must have been something special about it, such as having a desirable error. I can't imagine any other reason to give that much for a common coin.

Hi im new to the group aswell and came across a penny that i thought looked a little weird as far as looking brassish back in 1982 or3 and been saving it in a box of stuff unbenounced to me i still have it and came across it while cleaning n seen the high price list on some of them and took a better look at it and far as i can tell it maches all the research ive done its a 82d small date that weighs 3.06 grams when i weighed it can anyone confir this for me and steer me in the right direction as wht to do next im guessing getting it graded is in order as its in really nice condition but would appreciate any input 20200105_195409.thumb.jpg.10c98ff1af928994c41674fcf6791e96.jpg

Thank you for the clearer picture, and welcome to the forum.

That is a Large Date cent. Feel free to spend or save it, as you see fit. It is not rare.

Edited by Just Bob
typo

I agree, it's a common Large Date.

Out of curiosity, what made you think it was a Small Date?

Looks like the OP deleted his post for some reason.

Edited by Greenstang
Added copy

It probably does not matter to anyone but me, but, for the benefit of future readers of this thread, the last two posts, by VKurtB and Greenstang, were in response to a coin posted by a newcomer on 3/12/20, which was subsequently removed or hidden (presumably by the person who posted it).

Hello everyone,

I am new to coin hunting and this is what I found.

It's a 1982 no mint date with small date and its a 3.1gram.

I never had a coin graded and I was wondering if this was worth it?

I would appreciate if you can please take a look and give me an advice what to do next.

I've checked the number 2 and it is a small date.

I also checked for the letter W in We and it is a thinner W that is not chubby or fat.

it looks like it has a ddr/ddo?? please help me figure if it is so that I can pay for the membership and have it graded.

I also have another 1982 S mint date with small date but the condition is not that good.

1982ms3.jpg

1982ms2.jpg

1982ms1.jpg

1982ms.jpg

S20200529_0009.jpg

S20200529_0007.jpg

Edited by JustinRBS

While it is nice for a 1982 I don't think it is worth more than face value.  There are types of more common doubling other than doubled dies that don't add any value, maybe someone more versed on that will chime in.  Welcome to the forum though.

Welcome to the Forum

It is a nice looking coin but certainly not worth getting graded as the cost of grading would far exceed the value of the coin. That is not Die Doubling you see but worthless Machine Doubling.