• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1892 cinco pesetas Peru

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

picked this up in auction in a group of 3 coins. Everything seems right with it, weight is correct, composition has high silver, diameter is right. 

Anyone who who has a good knowledge of Spanish colony coins. Who could help share some light on this one I would be greatful.

I know it’s Peru Spanish colony, is also a very good grade. 

I dont one know how many were minted, how rare it’s is, or it’s value.

please any help on those would be great 7841B85B-423D-48B1-84B4-5E28FAE20646.thumb.jpeg.9ace5867b47b18ea8423891a004943e8.jpeg7841B85B-423D-48B1-84B4-5E28FAE20646.thumb.jpeg.9ace5867b47b18ea8423891a004943e8.jpeg7C6CB574-21F6-4F33-B8E3-9708275CEA6C.thumb.jpeg.97ffd4a8916215a44cf98557f8bbee0d.jpeg

18 minutes ago, British coins said:

Cheers Don 

looks like a good find... im not disclosing how much I paid 🤣🤣🤣

Haha diclsousre is not a requirement. I’ll check and see if I can find a mintage figure in my books when I get home. 

After further examination I’m now a little suspect on this coin as it has a B in the laureate of hair and should be an M if I’m correct also has no mint mark below wreath on front of coin. 

Could anyone share some light on these 2 points please. I was going to list today on eBay but I do not want to list incorrect details. I thrive on being a genuine seller not a dishonest one. If these too points suggest it is a modern reproduction then that’s how it will be listed. 

Hope someone can help ty 

On 11/17/2018 at 4:27 AM, British coins said:

After further examination I’m now a little suspect on this coin as it has a B in the laureate of hair and should be an M if I’m correct also has no mint mark below wreath on front of coin. 

Could anyone share some light on these 2 points please. I was going to list today on eBay but I do not want to list incorrect details. I thrive on being a genuine seller not a dishonest one. If these too points suggest it is a modern reproduction then that’s how it will be listed. 

Hope someone can help ty 

Just to rule out one possibility, have you put it near a magnet? But I'm in agreement with Sr. Narváez. There wasn't an 1882-BF Peruvian Pts5 coin. There was an 1882-LM, which this is not. It should weigh 25g if authentic; does it? Also, look at the thinner spots on the legends, where the typeface dictates just a narrow bit of metal. It is often missing, as you can note. Since there was plenty of advanced minting expertise in Peru--that inherited from their former Spanish overlords plus a couple centuries doing it themselves--there's no good reason to believe they designed a coin they could not manage to strike correctly.

In any case, this is from the era where as you know many Latin American coins circulated in China and the western US (our government didn't get around to minting enough of its own until late in the game). As a result, a lot of large 1800s silver rounds get counterfeited frequently.

3 hours ago, Ricardo Narvaez said:

La moneda es falsa, creo que de China. Si es de Lima, debió ser de 1880. Para 1881 y 1882 deben ser de Ayacucho

I don't speak Spanish, but I understood that.(thumbsu

Welcome to the forum.

Bienvenido al foro.