• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New member needs opinions on 1985 P Washington 25c

12 posts in this topic

Hello, my son and I have recently started collecting coins. We find it fun to hunt and search for errors or anything cool about a certain coin . I have been studying the hobby to be more informed, but am no where near a seasoned veteran. I could use some help with this 1985 P Washinton quarter that I found a while back and just hung onto. 1541847290444.thumb.jpg.7dc211d44139c771749b32276c98d857.jpg

I was thinking somehow the Washington was on another coin.

I will get better pics for you

Here you go if this works? The pattern is actually in the counter if you notice at the top it is under the word liberty20181110_141919.thumb.jpg.93f9414f66d7def8b1486fcdb82cbed2.jpg

Welcome to the forum, and to the world of collecting.

I can't.quite figure out what you are asking about on this quarter.  Can you be a bit more specific?

5 hours ago, KJG 2112 said:

I was thinking somehow the Washington was on another coin.

I will get better pics for you

Here you go if this works? The pattern is actually in the counter if you notice at the top it is under the word liberty20181110_141919.thumb.jpg.93f9414f66d7def8b1486fcdb82cbed2.jpg

Post mint Damage and by Washington on another coin did you mean you see an image or words...I blew your image way close up and by pattern you mean all the connected little lines everywhere...I'm assuming?

Thanks for the warm welcoming. I am curious of what seasoned collectors think it may be. Is it something someone has seen before? Is it worthy of being sent in for grading? Is it something that is worth keeping? Thanks.

Just now, KJG 2112 said:

Thanks for the warm welcoming. I am curious of what seasoned collectors think it may be. Is it something someone has seen before? Is it worthy of being sent in for grading? Is it something that is worth keeping? Thanks.

If your noticing things like that you have a great eye for it...you will be pleased when you find something that happened at the mint during the coining process...it's just a damaged coin from circulation...worth 25 cents...but, even though things like machine doubling are worth no extra money, when you find it or a simple die crack on a coin it gets you interested in more coins and you should want to understand how it happened and read about numismatic things...example, I think I have every type of cud known on the NE Homestead quarter where the bucket is at, along with a 1795 Flowing Hair half Dollar in the same box...crazy...

On 11/10/2018 at 8:09 PM, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

Post mint Damage and by Washington on another coin did you mean you see an image or words...I blew your image way close up and by pattern you mean all the connected little lines everywhere...I'm assuming?

I see it like this with ribbon and leaves

Untitled60.png

12 hours ago, thebeav said:

Well, your drawing certainly helps show others what you're seeing, but I believe this to simply be PMD (post mint damage).

I was just beginning to think just that. Until I turned it over and examined the reverse side real good and low and behold there is an image of arrows in the claw of an Eagle which I can make out maybe 75% of the eagles body. I do jot kkow wjatbi did to deserve such luck but I want to thank everyone for responding and helping us out. Tou will have to read about it in the coin news in the near future.  Thanks agajn.

20 hours ago, thebeav said:

Well, your drawing certainly helps show others what you're seeing, but I believe this to simply be PMD (post mint damage).

Agreed with all of the above.  Nice drawings that called attention to what you're seeing, but just PMD.

8 hours ago, KJG 2112 said:

I was just beginning to think just that. Until I turned it over and examined the reverse side real good and low and behold there is an image of arrows in the claw of an Eagle which I can make out maybe 75% of the eagles body. I do jot kkow wjatbi did to deserve such luck but I want to thank everyone for responding and helping us out. Tou will have to read about it in the coin news in the near future.  Thanks agajn.

Sigh.