• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Serious Retained LAM or PMD

11 posts in this topic

Hey Guys. Y'all know I only come over for the big stuff so your time can be spent with others. Gosh I'm so considerate. Lol! Now to the business in my hand...

I was sure this was PMD because I would never be fortunate enough to find something so awesome. But a couple people have said it's def a RetainedLamination Error. Mind you that the one piece is movable, and I am being careful with it. I did an edit and tried to highlight all the areas I see as unusual. Almost makes me think of the spider web error I've seen on a couple of websites. 

So whatever you guys think, please put those thoughts into words and add them to this posting.

Thanks so much.

img_1541533591543.jpg

img_1541533436139.jpg

img_1541533487310.jpg

img_1541533546001.jpg

img_1541533622512.jpg

img_1541533517004.jpg

img_1541533383591.jpg

img_1541533457789.jpg

With the caveat that I don't know *spoon* about the minting process, here's why I think it was poor QC at the mint (in whichever category, perhaps delamination). If it were PMD, what sort of thing could cause that effect without deforming the coin? I can't think of an impact that would. The coin looks to have retained its flatness. The undamaged parts have too much remaining detail for me to think someone plated it (and for what reason would anyone do that, to begin with?) and then the plating came off.

I can see you putting that into an Airtite (little plastic disc with interior foam sized to a penny) just to make sure that the loose piece doesn't get bumped. A regular paper/mylar or Saflip would not give that protection. Most coin dealers should have them, and the foam comes in black or white, so whichever you find a more attractive display option. They don't cost much.

JKK! Good to see you Sir. I hope you have been well? I must admit that I am here quite often reading through the postings and am always happy to see you and a couole of the other guys.

Now onto the business at hand...you make good points, although at first I thought it was done in a vice and because people just get bored. But now I do believe it is an actual Mint Error that is actually worth a premium, imagine that,  since the coin itself isn't in terrible condition. Dude said that to the right buyer I could get $15-20 for it!  If only I had a clue as to where to start with trying to unload it. Somehow I doubt the right person is just going to pop up in front of me. What I do know is that $20 is almost enough to purchase one of the Buffalo Nickels I need. 

I am super stoked, btw, and thanks for responding. I do think you know much more than you let on.

No, I'm entirely serious about what I don't know. Errors aren't my thing, except that the knowledge of the minting process that they reveal is very educational. Had a rough summer but a great coin show, got good deals on some foreign and mostly ancient pieces that ought to keep me out of the fleshpots of Beaverton for a while.

Your advisor said the key words: right buyer. I have an 1896 proof Barber half dollar. With obverse device hairlining, it wouldn't get over PR-61 to 62. To the right buyer, this survivor of the original 762 (!) minted would be worth what Numismedia gives for a 62: $940. To someone who doesn't happen to want a proof Barb half that has hairlines on the device (even though the reverse would just make your jaw hang open and put salivas), it's worth less than the $670 listed for a PR-61. They'd only buy it if they thought it was a screaming deal. I paid somewhere in between those prices because I was the right buyer.

So, if you find the person who collects those and thinks it's cool, yeah. The hard part is finding him or her. You could Ebay it. That's what I do when I win something that I don't want in the club membership drawing. The advantage there is that there is almost certainly a right buyer out there in the millions of people who shop there; the challenge then is crafting an entry that draws it to the right buyer's attention.

Ihy Maulemall. Want another? Lol! I have a few but nothing quite this drastic and none with the metal just kind of hanging there. I am pretty stoked about having it.

Spoon JKK,  that was  mouthful, huh? 

I think you have picked up on quite  a bit more knowledge of errors than you're willing to admit. Just saying. You know, you probably have answered or commented on 95% of the posts that I've made here. I've never had you steer me wrong either. So there! 

I do know one guy that only collects errors. I haven't seen him online for a week or so but am hoping that he sees my 1966 Lincoln Cent with the Retained Lamination Error real soon and maybe be interested in it.  Fingers crossed. I really have zero idea how ebay works so either someone will see it or I'll have it forever.   Either way, I'm happy. 

Hey Condor, I am just thrilled to have not only seen something as cool but that it is mine. I am really curious as to how something like that stayed attached there since 1966.