• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello

25 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I collect 1793 and 1794 federal coins, George Washington collectibles, Portuguese coins, and anything else that looks cool and I can hide from the wife. 

I used to be active across the street, but I got banned today, which was a new experience. I didn't even think I said anything controversial. C'est la vie!

It appears that they have overdone it ATS insofar as monitoring their forum. My gut feeling has always been that this is a friendlier place. Welcome. Do you collect Washington pieces, those that have been traditionally collected as colonials? I have stopped short (for now) of adding them to my colonial type set, other than those that QDB has identified as contemporary and not purely Conder tokens. 

P.S. my wife collects art glass, which keeps her from getting too curious about what I'm up to with numismatics. Jewelry has worked in the past. 

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

They do have a rule over there that you shall not criticize PCGS in any way, shape, or form.

Seriously? I’ve never been active ATS, but wouldn’t costumer feedback be good? 

Welcome to boards CaliforniaBen! I hope to see pictures of some the highlights of your collection! 

2 hours ago, coinsandmedals said:

Seriously? I’ve never been active ATS, but wouldn’t costumer feedback be good? 

Welcome to boards CaliforniaBen! I hope to see pictures of some the highlights of your collection! 

Not exactly.

PCGS has a set of rules published in February, 2011 stuck at the top of their coin board.  They are pretty much standard or common sense guidelines for a forum that is run by a public company and aimed at a niche market.  Traditionally, PCGS moderation has been quite loose in enforcing those rules, which has at times resulted in spiked activity for trolls, alternative IDs and folks who merely post there to muck things up.  At such times, PCGS has historically banned a few folks, though they sometimes let them back on the boards.  In the last few weeks there was an extreme spike in this type of activity and many of the PCGS regulars got caught up in the nonsense only to find themselves temporarily (or perhaps permanently) banned.  The hand of moderation also appears heavier right now because a new, much more active moderator is on the boards and this moderator is making some unpopular choices, which I believe are overdue, regarding closing threads or issuing warnings.  Please be advised that there is some heavy bias at times in posts on the NGC boards when the discussion of the PCGS boards pops up and expect to find the same bias at times on the PCGS boards with respect to the NGC boards.

As for CaliforniaBen getting banned, I have no information other than what was posted in this thread.

I went over and looked at the rules again.  Those are NOT the rules that were in place when I was banned. (Yes I was banned a long time ago)

I expect to get banned over there but still continue to offer opinions that are solid numismatic points on topics I am familiar with. And yes I own both NGC and PCGS graded coins.

Thanks for the welcomes. 

The banning was unexpected, but it's all good. I almost always keep it light, but I got worked up into a frothy frenzy about a few things I heard in the CLCT earnings call, and that prompted the offending post. Anyway, it's water under the bridge. 

13 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I went over and looked at the rules again.  Those are NOT the rules that were in place when I was banned. (Yes I was banned a long time ago)

I occasionally refer to your slab generation guide - I didn't even know you were banned

On 11/3/2018 at 6:15 AM, LINCOLNMAN said:

It appears that they have overdone it ATS insofar as monitoring their forum. My gut feeling has always been that this is a friendlier place. Welcome. Do you collect Washington pieces, those that have been traditionally collected as colonials? I have stopped short (for now) of adding them to my colonial type set, other than those that QDB has identified as contemporary and not purely Conder tokens. 

P.S. my wife collects art glass, which keeps her from getting too curious about what I'm up to with numismatics. Jewelry has worked in the past. 

I like the old stuff - buttons, paper collectibles, the old funeral medals, etc. - the older and more American the better

9 hours ago, CaliforniaBen said:

I didn't even know you were banned

I believe it was sometime between 2005 and 2008.  I'm pretty sure I was gone before 2011 rolled around.

10 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I believe it was sometime between 2005 and 2008.  I'm pretty sure I was gone before 2011 rolled around.

I joined here in 2007, and posted regularly until 2010. Although I can't say for sure, I think that you had already been banned when I arrived. If not, it was shortly after I got here. Definitely before 2011, though. I seem to recall that your banning was not actually for something that you said on the PCGS boards.

I was never banned on any forum over the years except for PCGS which seems to have an unusually thin skin.  Also I ran into a lot of people who were kicked off and came back under a different cartoon character avatar.  

They banned a bunch of people last Friday, then invited a couple of them back:  https://www.cointalk.com/threads/pcgs-forum-deletes-member-accounts.326342/

I've been banned there twice.  The first time was when they first imposed their no criticism of PCGS rule.  I mentioned that with that rule in place I was sure to get banned so I would no longer post publicly but would only help people via PM's.  I was banned for that within four hours.  Later I eventually went back with an alt because there were so many people asking questions and being given incorrect answers/advice.  That went OK for awhile untile I made the mistake of mentioning here on the NGC forums that I had an Alt over there.  The Alt was banned within hours.  I still read over there from time to time and there are still a lot of help or corrections/additions I could make, but I don't plan on trying to go back.

On 11/5/2018 at 9:15 PM, thebeav said:

I've never been banned, but simply commented in controversial threads which were then bammed

Your lucky.  Bach in the time when I was first banned if they "poofed" a thread and banned someone in it, they tended to ban everyone that posted to it.