• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not Suitable for Certification

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I see that one of my submissions, for a 1909 S VDB Lincoln cent, is being returned as "Not Suitable for Certification".  In submitting the coin, I realized that the "VDB" initials on the reverse were very weak, but it was my understanding that as long as they were discernible, and the coin could be verified to be as stated (that the coin was, in fact, a 1909 S VDB), that the coin would be graded accordingly though maybe with the notation of it having a weak VDB?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That notice typically applies to coins that are so badly damaged or corroded that NGC cannot arrive at a grade or is afraid that the metal may continue to deteriorate in the holder. You didn't post a photo or the certification number of your coin, so it is impossible to comment on it specifically.

1 hour ago, DWLange said:

That notice typically applies to coins that are so badly damaged or corroded that NGC cannot arrive at a grade or is afraid that the metal may continue to deteriorate in the holder. You didn't post a photo or the certification number of your coin, so it is impossible to comment on it specifically.

Hi, I don't recall any damage or corrosion, just a very weak "V.D.B." on the reverse.  I haven't received the coin back yet, so can't post a photo.  It is invoice # 4708629.  thank you.

Here's what I don't understand: obviously the coin is identified as a 1909 S VDB, so given the fact that there's no notable corrosion or it is otherwise damaged, why not at least slab the coin and list as "Genuine" with weak reverse "VDB" details?  Wish I had a picture of coin, but here's how it's listed on my submission list, but have not received it back yet (Invoice #4708629):

image.thumb.png.fb14f6f301aadda05200229cb2582f16.png

Just wish someone could check before it's returned to me, in case there's something that can be done.

Thank you.

image.png

• Administrator

On occasion, NGC will return a coin as NOT SUITABLE FOR CERTIFICATION. This is used for coins that are severely damaged or otherwise impaired. The surface condition of these coins makes it impossible for NGC to render a conclusive opinion about authenticity, NGC Details grade or both. When a coin is determined to be NOT SUITABLE, NGC will refund the grading fee, less a $5 processing charge.