• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Your CAC Gold Sticker Worth?

41 posts in this topic

I bought this one from a familiar dealer who regularly handles Gold CAC coins. NGC crossed this rattler to Pf 66 and I then sent it to CAC with image of original PCGS coin to finish the deal. Now it is a properly graded coin. Oh yes the coin was maybe worth more to a cool-aid drinker in a scratched rattler holder but I collect rather than speculate. By the way I did pay 66 money for it.

1939-kv01154.jpg

1939-kv01154r.jpg

11_4_2018_12_17_01_PM.jpg

20 hours ago, numisport said:

I bought this one from a familiar dealer who regularly handles Gold CAC coins. NGC crossed this rattler to Pf 66 and I then sent it to CAC with image of original PCGS coin to finish the deal. Now it is a properly graded coin. Oh yes the coin was maybe worth more to a cool-aid drinker in a scratched rattler holder but I collect rather than speculate. By the way I did pay 66 money for it.

1939-kv01154.jpg

1939-kv01154r.jpg

11_4_2018_12_17_01_PM.jpg

Well done.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, numisport said:

Everyone assigns values in their own way, to some the holder and gold bean were worth more than a (in your opinion) properly graded coin in a new scratch free holder.  I do not consider myself a plastic collector however I have bought some coins for the type of holder (as long as the coin is solid also) and it is an interesting side area of collecting for me.  I have never wanted to spend my coin funds on enriching either services on crossovers just for the plastic/registry game; but some do and that is also fine.  However anytime I do find copper coins in old holders where the surfaces and color are clean and bright it's a sign of stability and is worth some premium to me over a newer non scratched holder; and there are others that think so too.  Neither side is right or wrong vs the other just different viewpoints, at the end of the day you have a great looking coin no mater the plastic that surrounds it.

12 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

However anytime I do find copper coins in old holders where the surfaces and color are clean and bright it's a sign of stability

Wouldn't a raw coin with these same attributes also indicate stability?  Not sure of your logic, please explain.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, JIM F. said:

Wouldn't a raw coin with these same attributes also indicate stability?  Not sure of your logic, please explain.  Thanks.

I think along the same lines as Coinbuf and my reasoning, which I suspect mirrors Coinbuf's reasoning fairly well, follows.  

A raw copper coin with blazing red color and/or clear mirrors might not have been the same red color or might not have had the same mirrors just two or three weeks ago.  In other words, a raw copper coin could have had its surfaces enhanced, altered or otherwise changed in the very recent past and such coins are notorious for changing over time to a different appearance.  They may become darker, they may get more brown, they may spot or haze.  Regardless, the change is almost always in the negative direction.  However, a blazing red copper coin or one with clear mirrors in a PCGS rattler holder, or holder of similar generation, means that it looked pretty much similar when it was holdered (in this case from 1986-1989) as it does today and that also means that it is likely to continue to be stable into the foreseeable future.  Once that coin in the ancient holder is placed into a new holder then all bets are off in terms of both stability and in how it is looked at by other folks who might not think the coin stable and/or original.

Personally, it is doubtful I would ever take an ancient holder with a gold CAC sticker and regrade for a single point higher with a green CAC sticker.  However, I think each of us should do what is best for each of our collections and for the directions we want to take those collections.

I have been able to get an incremental premium on most cac gold sticker coins, makes them easier to sell.  Gold coins with cac gold are the best imo.  It all depends on the auction; on ebay you probably aren't going to get the strong bidding that other auctions would.  

20 hours ago, TomB said:

I think along the same lines as Coinbuf and my reasoning, which I suspect mirrors Coinbuf's reasoning fairly well, follows.  

A raw copper coin with blazing red color and/or clear mirrors might not have been the same red color or might not have had the same mirrors just two or three weeks ago.  In other words, a raw copper coin could have had its surfaces enhanced, altered or otherwise changed in the very recent past and such coins are notorious for changing over time to a different appearance.  They may become darker, they may get more brown, they may spot or haze.  Regardless, the change is almost always in the negative direction.  However, a blazing red copper coin or one with clear mirrors in a PCGS rattler holder, or holder of similar generation, means that it looked pretty much similar when it was holdered (in this case from 1986-1989) as it does today and that also means that it is likely to continue to be stable into the foreseeable future.  Once that coin in the ancient holder is placed into a new holder then all bets are off in terms of both stability and in how it is looked at by other folks who might not think the coin stable and/or original.

Personally, it is doubtful I would ever take an ancient holder with a gold CAC sticker and regrade for a single point higher with a green CAC sticker.  However, I think each of us should do what is best for each of our collections and for the directions we want to take those collections.

IMO both points of view are valid. If one is thinking about near-term value or selling, from what I've observed an old holder with a gold sticker gets a premium in the marketplace, perhaps more than a single point upgrade. If one gets more enjoyment out of looking at one's coins in a cleaner, modern holder, it's hard to argue against that. I've done both. 

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, JIM F. said:

Well that makes two of us because I'm not clear of your line of thinking either lol.  TomB gave a great explanation, very simply a buyer does not know what a raw coin looked like yesterday.  That raw coin could have been doctored yesterday and that's why it might have a great look, however that same coin (if doctored) will have a quite different look at some time down the road.  Because I know that a rattler or old no-line fattie holder hasn't been used by the services for over 25 years then it's safe to assume that a great looking coin in one of these older holders will not change color or develop problems on me anytime soon.  It's quite possible that a raw coin or a recently slabbed coin can be stable I just have a higher probability of that with an old holder, hope that explains my logic for you.

I respect both points of view, I am more app to feel more "secure" with copper when it is in an older holder...the things that can "appear" at a later date during ownership are interesting and some disturbing (eye appeal)...wasn't this a reason one or more of the TPG companies didn't guarantee $$$ buyback or something once upon a time???

13 hours ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I respect both points of view, I am more app to feel more "secure" with copper when it is in an older holder...the things that can "appear" at a later date during ownership are interesting and some disturbing (eye appeal)...wasn't this a reason one or more of the TPG companies didn't guarantee $$$ buyback or something once upon a time???

Yes. I've even had our host refuse to reholder some IHC's at the same grade or color designation.