• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Liberty Coinage Sub-types

7 posts in this topic

I know this is a long series in any denomination.  From the collectors out there, how many different MAJOR differences would you consider it has.  Not talking about die varieties here, but the more significant design changes. 

half dimes  no stars, with stars (there is a with and without drapery at elbow variation but I don't know if you would consider that to be major), with arrows reduced weight, no arrows reduced weight, USA on obverse.

dimes No stars, with stars, with arrows reduced weight, no arrows reduced weight, no arrows reduced weight, USA obv, with arrows increased weight, no arrows increased weight

Quarters (I don't remember if the first year was a one year type on this one or not.  I seem to recall it was a no drapery variety) then with drapery, arrows and rays reduced weight, arrows no rays reduced weight, no arrows reduced weight, IGWT added, with arrows increased weight, no arrows increased weight

Half dollars I believe follows the same pattern as the quarter but no one year type the first year

Dollar (ignoring the Gobrechts) no motto (IGWT), with motto

Total I believe 31 major types  (and there are other lesser hub changes as well)

That's off the top of my head, I may have missed one or two somewhere.

On 10/28/2018 at 1:57 AM, Conder101 said:

half dimes  no stars, with stars (there is a with and without drapery at elbow variation but I don't know if you would consider that to be major), with arrows reduced weight, no arrows reduced weight, USA on obverse.

dimes No stars, with stars, with arrows reduced weight, no arrows reduced weight, no arrows reduced weight, USA obv, with arrows increased weight, no arrows increased weight

Quarters (I don't remember if the first year was a one year type on this one or not.  I seem to recall it was a no drapery variety) then with drapery, arrows and rays reduced weight, arrows no rays reduced weight, no arrows reduced weight, IGWT added, with arrows increased weight, no arrows increased weight

Half dollars I believe follows the same pattern as the quarter but no one year type the first year

Dollar (ignoring the Gobrechts) no motto (IGWT), with motto

Total I believe 31 major types  (and there are other lesser hub changes as well)

That's off the top of my head, I may have missed one or two somewhere.

You named 31 types in 5 different denominations off the top of your head, and I can't even remember where I left my keys. :$

I forgot to mention, I don't consider without drapery "major" either.

My "major" types are:

No motto and with motto (quarter, half and dollar), arrows and rays (1853 quarter and half), no stars obverse (half dime and dime) and obverse legend (half dime and dime).

If I were putting together a type set of one or more Liberty Seated denominations, I wouldn't bother with the rest.

9 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

I forgot to mention, I don't consider without drapery "major" either.

My "major" types are:

No motto and with motto (quarter, half and dollar), arrows and rays (1853 quarter and half), no stars obverse (half dime and dime) and obverse legend (half dime and dime).

If I were putting together a type set of one or more Liberty Seated denominations, I wouldn't bother with the rest.

A pretty good minimalist list, but I would add a stars half dime and dime, perhaps with arrows to meet the minimalist theme, else both with stars and both with arrows. . 

5 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

A pretty good minimalist list, but I would add a stars half dime and dime, perhaps with arrows to meet the minimalist theme, else both with stars and both with arrows. . 

Yes, stars obverse half dime and dime belong.  I omitted it in error.