• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The recent passing of J.T. Stanton

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I haven't seen any mention of it on the NGC Message Board, but this is a far too significant event to allow it to go unaddressed.

Most people know J.T. Stanton solely as a name on the cover of The Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare U. S. Die Varieties, but to me he was a good friend and collaborator. When he and co-author Bill Fivaz were still the editors/publishers of the CPG we would share discoveries and varieties that made each subsequent edition a little more accurate and comprehensive. The level of cooperation was so great that Bill and J. T. even dedicated one of those editions to me, an honor I still treasure. We also had some great times as instructors and after-hours buddies at the ANA's annual Summer Seminar and conventions. Though not that long ago, it was a different time in the hobby culturally, and now that everything is so thoroughly copyrighted, trade marked and branded the easy sharing of facts and photos has largely passed. Yet, the memories remain, and I will miss my old friend very much.

I never met the man but he was a very important part of my collecting mentality .

I always kept the cherrypickers guide with me when I went on a hunt. 

Sad really.

Even though I never met him, it is still sad to know that another man whose work was part of my collecting life is now gone. His name and memory will live on.

An important contributor and figure in this great Hobby for sure.

His name will always be synonymous with cherry picking varieties.

More importantly, David; I'm sorry you lost your friend.

RIP :sorry: